Review by sam2702 -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sam2702
Favorite Book: The Given
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam2702.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by sam2702 -- The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by sam2702 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This review is for The Dark Web Murders (Inspector Sheehan Mysteries #4) by Brian O’Hare and I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I have given this book this rating because I found it to be another outstanding novel by O’Hare. I was hooked from the Prologue, and just had to keep turning those pages. I think the book was professionally edited as I found very few grammatical or spelling mistakes.

The Dark Web Murders details a series of killings by someone who, it is evident from the outset, is some sort of psychopath. There are a wide variety of characters in the book, and you need to be on your toes to remind yourself who they are and what relevance they have to the story. However a list of characters has been provided at the beginning of the book if the reader wanted to check back at any time. As the author takes the reader on the incredibly descriptive journey, Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his Serious Crimes Unit set out to identify the killer.

The author’s descriptive writing entices you further and further into the story, and much of it is extremely dark, with each killing outlined in minute detail by the killer, as he writes his blog on the Dark Web for his loyal followers to read and enjoy. There is a side story alongside the killings, which becomes linked with the main story as the book progresses, and this too is explained in great and disturbing detail by the author.

As in O’Hare’s other Sheehan mysteries, as the story continues, the author’s descriptive style guides us through the Belfast police procedures, and therefore most things that you think you may not understand become clear. The author is from Northern Ireland and some US readers may find certain police terminology confusing. The author has thoughtfully provided a glossary of acronyms which are commonplace in police forces in the UK, for guidance.

The thing that I enjoyed most about this book was how O’Hare was so descriptive in his writings. I enjoyed the graphic detail, although sometimes I shuddered as I tried to imagine some of the things that were described. The crime is complex, and careful readers will notice the clues and try to solve the mystery alongside the Chief Inspector’s team.

There really wasn’t anything I disliked about the book and I can’t wait to read more of Brian O’Hare’s novels.

I was unsure whether such a thing as ‘The Dark Web’ existed or whether it was simply part of the story, so I must admit that I did Google it, only to find out that it is definitely a real thing. I didn’t delve too much into anything as I didn’t want the police to come knocking on my door!

I think the book would appeal to readers who enjoy a gritty crime novel, but should know that there are certain things contained within the book that might disturb some people and is definitely not for younger readers.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”