Official Review: Bullhead by Brian zluticky

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Here On Moon by Edward M. Krauss

Official Review: Bullhead by Brian zluticky

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bullhead" by Brian zluticky.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Johnny Wonder is the host of a reality TV show called America’s Next Great Psycho (ANGP). The show tracks fugitive serial killers and brings them to justice. However, Johnny and his partner, Ariadne, are soon on the run after the head of the Chinese-American Censorship Board, Faye Qing, slapped an injunction against the show, confiscating all their equipment. Johnny and Ariadne make their way back to Johnny’s childhood neighborhood, where they meet a man called Snakes. He gives them an idea of the perfect story that could rejuvenate ANGP.

He tells them to investigate and solve the long-standing mystery behind the disappearance of Doreen, Johnny’s high-school crush. With Faye Qing hot on their heels, they must put together a crew and get a camera if they are to get back to business. Why is Faye Qing against the ANGP show? Will Johnny and Ariadne succeed in solving the mystery? Or is everything just a figment of Johnny’s imagination? Find out the answers to these questions in Bullhead by Brian Zluticky.

The most interesting part of this book for me has to be its level of suspense. The author ensured that my attention was maintained by keeping me at the edge of my seat, wondering what was going to happen next. He achieved this by not giving away much information too early in the book. Another thing I liked was that the author developed most of the characters satisfactorily, and I was able to understand and picture them. Additionally, the way the author described the scenes were revealing. As a result, it was easy for me to picture each event, as well as the appearance of each environment. My favorite scene in this novel is where Johnny and Doreen made their way to a creepy house called “The Goodman House” to rescue Johnny’s frog, Hoppy, who was stuck on the roof of the house.

Despite the positives, the book left me in no man's land towards the end. At that point, I didn’t understand what the book was all about. For example, the author introduced a character called Jordy, Doreen's cousin. Sometimes, it seemed like Johnny and Jordy were the same people, and other times, they seemed like different people. Another example of what got me confused was when Jordy was in a conversation with a character called Ravenna, only to end the same conversation with Mandy. That was the first and last time the name Mandy was mentioned in the entire book, so I’m not sure whether that was an oversight.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The one-star deduction is a result of the confusion I encountered towards the end of the book. I cannot rate the novel any less because I enjoyed most parts of the book. Moreover, the book is exceptionally edited since I found no errors throughout the text. I recommend this novel to people that are interested in fiction stories filled with suspense and mystery. Also, people that like unique stories will find this book worthwhile. However, the book contains a plethora of non-borderline profane words. Sensitive readers are advised to steer clear.

Bullhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
amrinzaeda
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrinzaeda.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by amrinzaeda »

It's quite unfortunate that the book unraveled like that at the end. It had such a promising start and sounded like it would be a really enjoyable read. Thanks for the great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Drowning Pool by gerald wixey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While the ending sounds unfortunate, the rest of the book sounds like a winner. I love that the author gave readers just enough detail to keep them reading without revealing too much! Maybe with careful editing and revamping the last part of the book, it would receive a full score. Thanks for the lovely review.
nikechi
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: The Soulmate Prophecy - Book One - The Birth by Yasmina Haque

Post by nikechi »

The review had me hooked until the end when I read about the confusion the reviewer faced. I hope there is a sequel to resolve what seems like a disappointing end.
Thanks for such an awesome review :tiphat:
Let peace and calm reign the in chaos :reading-4:
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by smolbird »

It's disheartening to hear that a book with such great premise had a confusing conclusion. Thanks for the great review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Lion’s Share
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Seven Tiers by Mark Richards

Post by NetMassimo »

The novel seems intriguing, but it looks like it needs some more editing to "polish" the ending and have an excellent mystery. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”