Official Review: I Was a VIP on 11/22/63

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The farm by Frans Bijsterveld
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: I Was a VIP on 11/22/63

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Was a VIP on 11/22/63" by Dr. Diane Holloway Cheney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Was a VIP on 11/22/63 by Dr. Diane Holloway Cheney is a novel based on true-life events. This book is about a presidential assassin, Leigh, whose father had died two months before his birth. Hence, Leigh grew up with his mother and two older brothers. Leigh was a truant, and a psychologist recommended treatment for him when he was fifteen. In 1956, he joined the United States Marine Corps (USMC) at the age of seventeen and served for three years.

Leigh was a self-acclaimed communist and Marxist, so he left the United States for the USSR in 1959. He even tried to renounce his American citizenship while in Russia and vowed never to return to America. After Leigh married a Russian woman, he wanted to be back in the United States. And after reading this book, I wished he was never allowed to set foot in America again. Leigh craved attention so much that he didn't mind being on the wrong side of history to get it. He wanted to be a VIP by all means. Did he get what he wanted? You will have to read the book to find out.

After reading this book, the first thing I did was to do a little research on the events in it. I must say that I commend the author for a job well done! This novel is no doubt a product of thorough research and impeccable narrating skills. The author uses the first-person point of view (Leigh's perspective) to tell most of the story, but the highlight for me is the author's creative use of diary entries and letters to help the reader understand Leigh's mindset.

My favorite aspect of this book is its suspenseful narrations. Despite the foreword that informed me of the events depicted in the book, I was surprised that I was still uncertain about the things that would happen. Prospective readers should be aware that this book is hard to put down once you start reading it.

Though this novel is based on actual events, I liked how Leigh's character was well developed. And while there are many fictional books about the events depicted, this author tells her story from the assassin's perspective in this book. Hence, I thoroughly enjoyed this author's different approach. More so, Dr. Diane Holloway Cheney is a brilliant storyteller whose talent is evident in her ability to turn a well-known historical event into a page-turner.

While there's nothing I really disliked about this novel, I am not proud of the many errors I found in it. I counted more than ten of them. As a result, I am deducting a star from the book's rating and awarding it three out of four stars. I struggled to hold back my tears after reading this book but enjoyed its effect on me. Therefore, I highly recommend it to readers who love historical fiction books based on true-life events. Nevertheless, some readers might find the gory details of people being gunned down off-putting, so skip this book if you fall into that category. Otherwise, happy reading!

I Was a VIP on 11/22/63
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Elizabeth
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Drowning Pool by gerald wixey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I like the mixture of real-life events and fiction that make up this addictive story! Strong character development always wins me over, and I like the added detail of diary entries. Thanks for the outstanding review.
nikechi
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikechi.html
Latest Review: The Soulmate Prophecy - Book One - The Birth by Yasmina Haque

Post by nikechi »

A true-crime book in the perspective of the criminal. That's so cool
I really enjoy stories when the villain is given a thorough back-story that explains their present predicament.
Let peace and calm reign the in chaos :reading-4:
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by raluca_mihaila »

It seems like a very educational book that makes you want to find out more about history. The title is intriguing, and it has caught my attention. Great job with the review, as usual!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Ellylion »

The book sounds very promising, especially for those interested in political events of that time period :) Sorry about all the errors tho. Thanks for a great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Long Utopia
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Seven Tiers by Mark Richards

Post by NetMassimo »

Mixing history and fiction around an event that was analyzed so deeply such as JFK's assassination is tricky but intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kelyn
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: When North Becomes South by Becky Bronson
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

It's a rare book that encourages the reader to do extra research on the events that occurred within it. I find how authors tend to mix fact with fiction to be fascinating. Each does it differently. Unfortunately, I'm not into politics or the events surrounding them, so I'll be skipping this one. Thanks for the great review!
I think it's a good thing that life isn't fair...if it was, it would mean we deserve all the bad things that happen to us. :eusa-think: - Marcus - Deep Space Nine
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Wrong Side of the Glass
Bookshelf Size: 333
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: The Blue Washing Bag by Mary Clancy

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Truancy, communism, and a presidential assassin?! What a story of strong-willed defiance this must have been. And such a book would certainly contain gory details and mature themes, so the content seems fittingly appropriate. Thank you for providing such a thorough and honest analysis!
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 330
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like the author did a fantastic job of writing this book. Hopefully they clear up the editing errors.
Great review!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It's curious to read how Leigh vowed to never come back to the United States, but the eventually did. I wonder why. Thanks for your thorough review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”