Review by tohveeyarrh_ -- The Trafficking Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tohveeyarrh_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tohveeyarrh.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by tohveeyarrh_ -- The Trafficking Murders

Post by tohveeyarrh_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Trafficking Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‘’Cross the Shadow, become a shade’’
The shadow stayed true to his words with that one.
I’ve existed for a wee couple of years but human trafficking beat me to it and even though it’s been under the radar in recent times, it never fully left. Brian O’Hare sure did a number with The Trafficking Murders. With the help of this mystery thriller He sheds light on the not so divine world of human trafficking.

Alina leaves her poor parents back in Romania to Northern Ireland where she’s been told that the grass is greener. We’re made to understand that she isn’t the only one with dreams as Lin Hui and Cheung Mingzhu rejoice over their scholarships to study at Queen’s university in Belfast. Young and ambitious with expectations of a bright future, these girls definitely couldn’t have been prepared for the life that awaited them. Fast forward to a couple of years later, Mingzhu is dead and Lin Hui in hiding.
How did things go so horribly wrong?
Who killed Mingzhu and worse why is her body deposited in the garden of an upmarket residence?
Did Alina suffer a better fate?
And "The shadow" I referenced at the beginning of this, what’s his deal anyway?
Join inspector Sheehan and his team as they attempt to unravel the mystery behind Mingzhu’s death, a mystery that only intensifies as they dig further.

This mystery thriller true to its name takes us on an exciting journey that exploits the field of human trafficking and all the shady intricacies woven alongside. With a diction that’s easy to comprehend and a show of extreme brilliance from his characters, Brain O’Hare tells a beautiful story that has you transfixed to the very last full stop. The plot is progressive as apprehension is built; slowly at first while establishing a secure foundation and then rapidly with an uncertainty that has you reading over the words with excitement, in a bid to satiate your curiosity and prove your speculations right or wrong. The author set out to entertain and educate (you simply cannot turn a blind eye to Dr Campbell’s lectures) and I’m convinced that he’s done an outstanding job on all fronts.

What’s not to love?
The plot is beautiful, the characters both intelligent and relatable, and the editing almost flawless. Despite my obvious love for this book, I did have a bit of a struggle at the beginning trying to place the characters involved in inspector Sheehan’s team as they were often called other names amongst themselves. I did manage to get a grip eventually and the sail was smooth from then onward.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars simply because it most definitely deserves it. Be rest assured that I would be checking out other works by the brilliant Brian O’Hare. If you’re one to enjoy suspense alongside crime books and won’t mind a bit of medical schooling then I’ll be disappointed if you didn’t pick up this beauty the next time you visit a bookshop. I would also recommend this book to members of the police force as the extreme brilliance exuded by inspector Sheehan and his team will most likely come in handy. However, I do recommend that children below the age of 16 stay clear of this book as it could alter with their mindset and the way they view the world in general. I think they can do without the extra knowledge for the time being.

The Trafficking Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

I am currently reading this particular book and your summary is brilliant and right on point, well done.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”