Review by peachandsqueak -- Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
peachandsqueak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peachandsqueak.html
Latest Review: Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut

Review by peachandsqueak -- Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut

Post by peachandsqueak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bad Karma" by Debi Chestnut.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zoey Callaway collects information by trade so, when the police call the sudden death of her uncle an accident, she begins her own investigation.

Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut is a compelling and suspenseful novel about a young woman who is convinced her uncle was murdered. After inheriting his house and new kitten, she moves out of her alcoholic mother’s garage and immediately gets to work looking for clues that will prove not only that he was murdered, but why. Zoey’s search for the truth points her towards other unsolved murders in town. When a stalker starts following her every move, she must work quickly to find out who the killer is before they strike again.

There is so much to like about this book. It is full of tension and suspense that keeps the reader on their toes. Every time I thought I had everything figured out, a new detail would be revealed, and I found myself unable to put the book down, needing to know all of the answers. I also appreciated how each character has their own voice and personality, as well as development throughout the book. Even the neighbor’s dog is a well-developed character and has an interesting back story. In addition, the vivid details allow the reader to become immersed in the story and feel as if they are right there experiencing everything with Zoey. Everything in this story is well thought out and I particularly enjoyed how the title tied into the story.

The only thing I found distracting was that the dialogue tag said was used after almost every single piece of dialogue, even when a question was being asked. I found this to be a bit annoying, but not enough to take away a star from my rating.

While I think anyone could enjoy this book, I especially recommend it to anyone who enjoys mystery, suspense, crime novels, or books with a strong female lead. This also appears to be the first book in a series, so I recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading a series.

I give Bad Karma 4 out of 4 stars. The story is original and well-written. It is dramatic and suspenseful, with some wit sprinkled in throughout. It is full of incredible details sure to keep the reader engaged. Although it had the one minor flaw, I read this book in one sitting and would read it again.

Bad Karma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”