Official Review: Scalpels Out by Peter Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: Scalpels Out by Peter Morris

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scalpels Out" by Peter Morris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scalpels Out by Peter Morris can be described as a slow-burn crime novel, following the lives of three relatively young medical professionals as they conduct themselves in the utmost unprofessional manner. From start to finish these ladies behave themselves poorly, consorting to conspiracy to frame their co-workers, criminal activity, loose moral behavior, and generally not getting reprimanded properly by their superiors. The more I got to know them, the more I disliked them.

Being fully aware that this was a work of fiction, I could not help myself but feel disgusted at some of the unlawful practices mentioned throughout the book. Admittedly, I have always said that a strong emotional reaction to a book is a sign of good writing. The strong emotional reaction was short-lived though. The storyline progressed somewhat at a snail’s pace and left me craving action and adventure. Even the romantic encounters were cold and demeaning towards women.

The writing style displays a clear Scottish background and is not easy to follow if English is not your first language. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the delectable variety of new words I learned, and I can honestly say that this was what I loved the most about the book.

When I initially chose this book to review, I expected there to be more focus placed on the medical side of their lives rather than their vengeful behavior. This is what disappointed me the most, as I was rather looking forward to a medical-crime-drama with an emphasis on the medical side of things. Had I expected it just to fall under crime-drama, my experience may have been somewhat different. I think the title and cover page are misleading in that aspect.

Although there is mention of sexual activity, it is not done in a lewd or explicit manner. There is also no strong language used. I would however still not recommend this book to a younger audience, as it contains violence, sinister behavior, and reference to unlawful activity, death, and general poor judgment. It does not serve as a good example to children or teenagers of how adults should be behaving in the workplace.

If you are looking for a dramatic medical action scene where a hero saves the day, this is not the book for you. I would recommend this to readers that enjoy crime and mystery rather than action and drama. The book was impressively edited and I had to scrounge to find any errors. With managed expectations, I cannot in good conscience score this book less than a solid 3 out of 4 stars.

Scalpels Out
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I just complete reading a medical crime novel and was looking for another one. I guess my search ends because your review provoked me to try this one. thank you.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Based on your review, this sounds like the kind of book I will enjorevThe way you paint these 3 medical professionals as immoral really intrigued me to follow their storylines. Thanks for this review!
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

Moral decadence has become the order of the day, especially amongst females.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Considering the fact that the story is centered on people's health, this seems like quite a dark thriller. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”