Official Review: Feeding The Beast by Richard Greene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mvictoria
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: In Hindsight by Sharon Bonanno and Lisa Scott

Official Review: Feeding The Beast by Richard Greene

Post by Mvictoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Feeding The Beast" by Richard Greene.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Feeding the Beast by Richard Greene is the story of the Denver Police Department’s race to find a vicious killer. Set in 1951, we follow Detective Dan Morgan and his partner, Jack Brolin. Both men served in the war together and then became police officers together. Dan’s wife, Norma, died two years prior, and his daughter was killed in a hit and run accident when she was only eleven. Dan is estranged from his son, Richard, who sends postcards with no return address that simply say, “Doing fine.”

In 1951, there was no DNA evidence. There were no cell phones or even pagers in the book. Some households had a television, but most listened to the radio in the evenings for entertainment. The term “serial killer” would not be coined for years. When a young girl turns up dead on Larimer Street, Dan and Jack are called in to work the homicide. The murder is eerily similar to murders in other districts nearby. Are these homicides connected? Will Dan and Jack catch the killer (or killers) before they kill again? Find out in Feeding the Beast by Richard Greene!

The first thing I have to say about this book is that it was incredibly poorly edited. I found major grammatical errors throughout the book that completely ruined my reading of the book. It was nearly impossible to read with all the mistakes like misplaced commas, poor capitalization, and run-on sentences. Some of the dialogue was a bit trite, and the language was incredibly repetitive. Every morning, trees were “bathed” in sunlight, for example. Further, the formatting changed seemingly on a whim.

That said, I enjoyed the plot of the book, and it honestly had me on the edge of my seat! I felt that the characters were well written and really came to life through their interactions with Dan. I really enjoyed reading about the relationship between Dan and Jack. They love to rile each other up and mess with each other, and I found these humorous interactions lightened the tone of the otherwise serious book. My favorite part of the book was the psychology professor, Professor Pappel. I loved his insights about the investigation and thought he was a smart addition to the book. I also felt like the author truly understood the impacts of 1951 police work and living, in general. He mentions bench seats, rotary telephones, and clothing styles that were popular.

This book is definitely not for everyone. It has some deranged sexual violence that may be too much for some people. It isn’t very graphic, except for one or two scenes, but it is quite disturbing. Fans of serial killer mysteries and police stories will like this book. Because of the truly appalling editing, I have to give this book one out of four stars. With some serious editing, I would happily rate this book two or three stars because I found the plot so engaging. I think some readers would really like this work, but it definitely needs a few more rounds of edits.

Feeding The Beast
View: on Bookshelves
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Retaking Eden by Pastor D

Post by Eutoc »

Dan has a rocky family life. I wonder if he had a stable mind with all the things happening in his life.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

A police officer witj loads of personal stuffs is just like the ordinary man next door trying to carry out his duties while facing issues back home. It's a good plot. But the errors are numerous. Another round of editing will really help
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Martisian Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Seeds of Akara by David LaPiana

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a draft rather than a finished product. It's a shame considering that it clearly has a good potential. Maybe the author needs some help from a professional editor. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: The Leading Man by Stephen J. Blakesley

Post by SamaylaM »

Your summary of the plot sounded great but of course, I can see why you had to deduct maximum stars. Thank you for an honest and detailed review!
RHD
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by RHD »

A good plot, but with a plethora of errors, now that's confusing. There seems to be a good story in here somewhere. Thank you for your honesty Mvictoria 👏
Shieldmaiden88
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

I really enjoy stories set in times before high tech invaded every aspect of life. This sounds like a great detective story with lots of relational content between the characters.
ToriStori31
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ToriStori31 »

I enjoyed this review And actually learned something new. I have no idea that the term “serial killer” was not coined until a few years after 1951! I love this genre, but as enticing as the plot sounds, I would avoid reading this book because it would probably frustrate me due to poor editing.
sssns
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by sssns »

1951 police work sounds interesting. The approach to crime-solving might be different because of the available resources and technology. Too bad about the errors. I hope they get fixed. I also appreciate the content warning. Thanks for the honest review.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”