Review by Sarrikoziol -- Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Review by Sarrikoziol -- Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Sarrikoziol »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil Among Us" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Federal Special Agent Lara Edmond and Israeli Mossad agent Uri Levin are back to dealing with the Hezbollah terrorist group. This time the organization is back with a diabolical plan to wipe out the Zionist sympathizers while trying to shut off the flood of government aid to Israel.

Devil Among Us By Jack Winnick kicks off with a cruel blow at Orthodox Jews during Yom Kippur service. Set up inside a synagogue in New York at strategist locations three suicide bombers obliterate almost the entire congregation of Orthodox Jews. It is all part of the Hezbollah master plan, but what the Joint Terrorist Task Force (JTTF) finds is just hard to fathom.

This book is a page-turning, nonstop action-packed story. There are some truly dark places inside the story. However, there are bits of humor to offset some of the hatefulness exuding from the terrorists Lara and Uri are facing. Lara and Uri seem to find bits of humor here and there throughout some of the worst situations they currently find themselves deeply embedded. For example, there is a passage that is not overtly funny, yet I found myself laughing out loud nonetheless.
"'No, sir,' Davis replied. 'As I said, you are not under arrest. You are
merely complying with a voluntary request for your appearance.'

Stan looked at Sally, who did not appear mollified by the agent's
remarks. In her eyes, he might as well have been headed to the
electric chair."

What I liked most about this book was by far the characters. Lara Edmond and Uri Levin are well-developed, complicated individuals. During Devil Among Us, Jack Winnick introduces some truly unique characters. Staunton Richarson is normally an above-board-playing citizen. He has a very simple life with his wife Sally until he is introduced to oil tycoon Dale Simmons. On the other hand, there is the larger-than-life Reverend Depew. I can only describe him as a southern Texan to his core.

The author Jack Winnick has extensive knowledge of the Middle East and all of its political affirmations. The knowledge was so vast I often felt as if I was a part of the story like one of his characters. I could easily picture the terrain and surrounding areas, or the building structures he described. I could visualize the mannerisms, the clothing, and the people. It made me feel the terror, the fear, the evil and darkness, and the humor needed during times of absolute panic.

I am excited to give this book a rating of four out of four stars. It was professionally edited and very well written. I did find a few spacing errors, but it did not distract from the read. Due to the graphic and violent nature, I would recommend this book to a more mature reading demographic.

Devil Among Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”