Review by Cazrichmond -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review by Cazrichmond -- Gringo

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With the help of Peter Conti, Dan “Tito” Davis has written Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive. This non-fiction book details his life from being a young and ambitious boy to experiencing an adventurous and terrifying life on the run as an international fugitive.

Dan was born in 1953 in Pierre, the capital of South Dakota. In this small city, he was raised in a wholesome family and spent his time fishing, hunting, hiking, enjoying sports and taking school seriously. As a young boy, he was ambitious and keen to earn his own money. He became very good at wrestling and with his lean build, he developed a passion for horse racing, where he would earn substantial amounts of money, often exceeding his father’s wages.

In 1972, Dan attended college. Here he discovered a passion for sodas and fast food and soon became lethargic and slept too much, often missing classes. One night, in the college library, whilst cramming for an exam, a friend gave him a tablet called a white cross. The effects of this tablet enabled him to study for his exam and improve his concentration. Soon realizing these tablets, ephedrine, could earn him a fortune on campus, he started his drug selling empire. Dan couldn’t keep up with demand and moved to the University of Nevada to find a connection. Dan also met with the Banditos Motorcycle Club, and at the height of business they were moving a few million pills per week.

The high-life didn’t last and Dan served time in prison. After his jail sentence, Dan was released into a different world, where he needed to rebuild his life. He restarted his business and decided to be more careful with his money, but little did he know he was soon to be betrayed by a so-called friend. Determined not to be punished for a crime he did not commit, he runs. He posts bail and runs to Mexico, starting a whole new life as a fugitive of the USA.

On reading this memoir, I felt like I was reading a script for a Hollywood action movie. I found it fascinating how the author found enough courage to run from the USA and travel through dangerous areas of South America. It was interesting to read that his connections from prison helped him along his journey and how he may not have survived without them. The descriptions of places such as Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela and the uninhabitable Dorien Gap are eye-opening. The author has had an insight into the corruption, danger and poverty of such places and how drug cartels have so much power in these third world areas. His cultural observations are very interesting, and in some parts shocking too, he has lived immersing himself into cultures to avoid suspicion. The dangerous situations he found himself in, make the book a real page-turner, making you wonder how one man can tolerate so much turmoil, with the constant fear of being caught by the police. 

I enjoyed the author’s writing style and personality. He is a very intelligent, tenacious and charismatic man, who writes with humor about his poor decisions. He has an eye for the ladies, which often makes him take actions ruled by his heart rather than his head. I believe the author could have been very successful in any chosen career, and some of his chosen professions made his life very complicated and full of fear. I have to commend his resilience and perseverance throughout his quest to find a country where he could settle and be happy, as I think most people would have thrown in the towel well before.

My only criticism of the book is the abrupt ending. I would have liked to have known more about the fate of the author and how his life has been since writing this book. His story is captivating and engaging, and I would be very interested to know more about Dan’s life and the other people who were key characters in his memoir. This didn’t spoil the book for me, it just left me craving more details of this interesting life. I loved the book and found it very hard to put down, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I didn’t find any spelling or grammar mistakes, so I believe it has been professionally edited. The book is only suitable for adults, as there are frequent profanities and some explicit sexual content. The book will appeal to readers who enjoy memoirs and an exciting and action-packed description of an extraordinary life.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”