Review by Michele Harris -- Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Michele Harris -- Bad Karma by Debi Chestnut

Post by Michele H »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bad Karma" by Debi Chestnut.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zoey Callaway is an FBI freelancer living in an apartment above her mother’s garage when her world falls apart with one phone call. Although close in proximity, Zoey and her mother have never had a close relationship. The devastating news that her Uncle Felix is dead shakes her to the core. She and Felix had always been close, and he was the only person she could ever rely on. It was also Uncle Felix that had fed her curiosity as a child, leading to her career and love for solving mysteries. Zoey packs her things and heads to the sleepy Michigan town where her uncle lived. Although there does not appear to be foul play, Zoey knows deep down that something isn’t right.

Uncle Felix was murdered. Zoey learns that a serial killer is on the loose in the town she thought of as home. She is determined to find the killer responsible for the murders of pretty young girls in the area and figure out how her uncle’s murder is connected. As Zoey unravels the mystery of Hope Harbor, she finds herself on the killer’s target list.

Bad Karma: A Zoey Callaway Mystery by Debi Chestnut is a fantastic thriller with twists and turns on every page. Zoey is a bad-ass character who fights back and faces danger without batting an eye. This book is a fast-paced roller coaster that keeps you in suspense to the very end. I liked the main character because she is a fighter, she is driven, and she is learning to find her way in the world. I also liked the author's use of pets to help enrich Zoey’s life and fill the void created by her family life. The book’s plot is not solely focused on the murders. I liked that the author added additional story lines with regard to some history in the fictional town, which only added to the depth of the book and the mystery.

I enthusiastically give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved everything about this book. The plot is totally unpredictable and is the kind of book that can easily be envisioned as a movie. Additionally, I was unable to pinpoint any editing errors.

This book is recommended for readers who enjoy an unpredictable mystery and suspense novel. The murders in the plot are described in detail and are violent in nature, so it may not be appropriate for sensitive readers. Although mystery is not a genre I typically read, I can’t wait to see more of this series released.

Bad Karma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”