Review by ShikshaP -- Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ShikshaP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shikshap.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by ShikshaP -- Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by ShikshaP »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shadow Game" by A.M. Adair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadow Game by A.M. Adair is the first book in the “Elle Anderson” series. It is centered on Elle and her team of experts, and their mission to eliminate the most dangerous terrorist organization in the world. It was an action-packed thriller novel, but with a few sweet elements which provided relief from the tense nature of the plot.

Elle Anderson was a smart and self-sufficient operative, with an uncanny instinct when it came to recognizing trouble, which saved her and her team’s life multiple times throughout the story. Her team included Mike “Tex” Traviano, Jack Paulson, and Eve James. The plot was engaging and well-paced. Elle’s ability to stay calm and focus on every little detail, while keeping herself emotionally distant, was astounding. Tex was amazing. His wit was the perfect match to Elle’s seriousness.

I liked the camaraderie that the team had. They were more like family than teammates. In particular, I loved the bond that Elle and Tex shared. They were so attuned to each other, that it was easy to see the love and respect they had for each other. A big positive for me was how precise, and well-explained the action sequences were. I also liked how Tex called Elle “Mama” or “Mom” because she cared deeply about the safety and well-being of the team.

Every moment in the story was well-planned and highlighted the author’s knowledge of and experience in the world of Intelligence. The plans prepared by Elle and her team were detailed, and the story was easy to follow. Also, there was never a lull in the story.

There were a few incidents of physical abuse, in the form of public flogging, and verbal abuse endured by women for speaking up for themselves, that were hard to read. There was also an implication of the ill-treatment of animals. However, I would like to clarify that even though I did not like reading these parts, it doesn’t make them a negative aspect of the book. They were some harsh realities that were essential to the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I have given it a perfect rating for many reasons. It was clearly written and well-described. The action-sequences had me on the edge of my seat, particularly when Elle, metaphorically speaking, went into the lion’s den. The author did a good job explaining the ins and outs of the detailed amount of planning involved in carrying out such a complex mission. It was engaging and kept me hooked till the end. I found one spelling error, but it was minor and did not divert my attention from the plot. Otherwise, the book was professionally edited. I recommend it to people above the age of 18 because of some mention of abuse, violence, and some sexual innuendos. It should be enjoyed by people who like spy fiction. Finally, I can’t wait to read what happens next after that epic cliffhanger.

Shadow Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”