Official Review: Turtle Creek by Ruben Elustondo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda LM
2021 Reading Goal: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lm.html
Latest Review: Lexi is Dyslexic by Farzana Prior

Official Review: Turtle Creek by Ruben Elustondo

Post by Guda LM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Turtle Creek" by Ruben Elustondo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David Bonner is the only son of Governor Amanda Bonner and Dr. Douglas Bonner. They are the most distinguished family in Turtle Creek, and David is famed as a rich kid, used to getting whatever he wants at any cost. This reputation fuels his guilty verdict when his long-term girlfriend, Natalia Anderson, is brutally beaten and murdered along a popular forest trail. The high-profile nature of the case attracts massive attention from the press and the Governor’s biggest political rival, Dr. John Mitchell, the mayor of Turtle Creek. All these factors put immense pressure on Commissioner Andrews and his team to solve the girl’s murder and find the real perpetrator.

The Bonner family does all they can to prove their son’s innocence and, in the process, resort to hiring a private investigator. This act guides the case in an alternative direction, riddled with more suspects with new motives, love affairs, and a network of illegal covert activities. Every lead turns into more questions, more puzzles, and even Commissioner Andrews begins to suspect a leak in his team. Before long, friends seem to be enemies, and everyone seems to be working an angle with hidden motives. However, questions remain, why was Natalia killed? Why is the mayor so involved in the case? Is the Bonner family truly innocent?

Ruben Elustondo writes a thrilling and highly engaging novel that hooks the reader right from the introduction. The pages come to life through the vivid descriptions of the various sites and scenes in the book. For instance, it is easy to visualize and experience the tension of the hearings, the emotional nature of the murder, and even perceive the challenging nature of the interrogations. The author also seamlessly introduces and expertly develops the characters, making them quite real and relatable. Their voices, movements, physical traits, and personalities are all visible within the writing.

Everything about the book is excellent; however, I enjoyed the book's immersive nature the most. There is a manner in which the author ensured that I was also conducting my own parallel investigation as I was reading. Nothing is revealed upfront, and I had to gather the clues together with the investigating team. Every revelation was a shock that I did not anticipate, and I was in a constant state of suspense. There is absolutely nothing to dislike about the read, except the fact that the book ends and with one final mind-blowing tiny piece of information.

The book is excellently edited, and I came across only one spelling error. The language employed is intelligible and free of any profanities and with creative use of metaphors and comparisons. Additionally, the intimate scenes are minimal and described tastefully and in general terms. Turtle Creek is a fast and easy book to read that will have you engulfed in a thrilling and twisted world of lies, political games, and extensive crime operations. I happily award it a deserved rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone above sixteen looking for a comprehensive crime novel that will have you in constant disbelief, wonder, and an ultimate state of satisfaction.

Turtle Creek
View: on Bookshelves
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: The Accidental Gardener by Farzana Prior

Post by Drianie »

With such high praise, this is a must-read! As far as crime novels go its seems to tick all the boxes. With so many suspects and confusing leads and people involved, I can't wait to immerse myself and find out what's going on!
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by shreyagupta »

The book sounds amazing and your review is well put together. I look forward to reading it.
azn1981
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by azn1981 »

This sounds interesting! Thanks for the review, this sounds like a must read in one of my favorite genres.
anna-augustynn
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-augustynn.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by anna-augustynn »

Review well presented, I feel I would like to read that book. Thanks for recommendation!
Sararob06
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Sararob06 »

This seems like a crime novel I could get invested in. Thanks for your review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery with a political element and suspense seems intriguing, also thanks to twists that keep the readers on edge. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Salami Leh Beirut by Nadia B. Porter

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a truly thrilling read! I would love to find out all the surprises and reasons behind the mystery presented in this book. Thanks for the great review and recommendation.
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Reviewer100 »

David's longtime girlfriend murdered? This is the part that wets my desire for this book.
Dman_1996
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dman-1996.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Dman_1996 »

I'm obsessed with movies and books about a mysterious murder and all these possible suspects. This review gave me everything I was looking for in a good muder mystery. Thanks for this in-depth review!
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

This book sounds right up my alley! I love this genre of books and wondering if the family is ultimately involved or not. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”