Review by RevaParker -- Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 478
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Review by RevaParker -- Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Reva Parker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil Among Us" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick is the second book in this series. It is fictional, but could potentially be very real. The book starts with a terrorist act at a synagogue in Brooklyn. The two main characters are Lara Edmond, who is a special agent with the FBI, and Uri Levin, a Mossad agent. They had worked together several years earlier and had become close at that time. Though they hadn't seen or talked since neither one of them had forgotten the time they had spent together. Their part of the story starts with them in Brooklyn and then off to Waco, Texas. They know that fake passports are involved, but not sure yet how the two places are connected. The journey takes them to several other places to unravel what is actually going on in the background. While they are top-notch in their fields, they are human, who sometimes make mistakes, but are always willing to learn from others.

For me, the parts of the book I enjoyed the most are where Lara and Uri are involved. It doesn't matter whether they are together, separate, working professionally, or about their personal lives. They are both very serious and diligent about doing a great job. They are both highly respected in their professions. When they are off duty, they have great charisma and humor in their relationship. I adore how they can communicate without even speaking and have the utmost respect for each other. I also appreciate the fact that though the characters continue to grow and are involved in other books in the series, each book stands alone. And lastly, one pet peeve of mine is when a book ends and you have more questions than answers. Fortunately, this book does not do that. Without knowing exactly how it will all come about, in the end, questions are answered and it all makes sense.

The negative aspects for me are more personal preferences than about the book. The first few pages detail the beginning terrorist act, which is difficult at times to read since I remember watching the happenings on 9/11. And then there are discussions that the terrorists have about the murder plots they are planning to carry out. But that is life and what this book is about. So as far as how the book is written to tell this story, I really can't think of anything negative about it.

So after all is considered, I am giving this book four out of four stars. It flows very easily and explains everything, so even those of us who don't know anything about the weapons and planning of terrorist attacks can understand it. It isn't all heavy, with some humor in it and just everyday life happenings, so one doesn't get bogged down. It reads at a nice tempo and is very well written. It also was professionally edited with very few minor errors.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes to read about solving crimes. There aren't any erotic scenes or hardcore language so more people might be able to enjoy it. If you are very sensitive about terrorist acts or murder scenes, this might not be the book for you, though there is much more to Devil Among Us than just that.

Devil Among Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

This is another installment in the Lara and Uri action thriller series. Thanks for your insightful review of this book. looking to read this book soon.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 478
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the book too.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed the way you described Lara and Uri's relationship. Their budding romance is a stark contrast to the horrendous terrorist action in this story. Thanks for sharing your insights about the author's exciting and realistic writing. Great review!
Christina Puttre
Currently Reading: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-puttre.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Christina Puttre »

I really enjoyed the book as well. I thought the book seemed very real though it was a fiction novel. So real, there were times I wondered if the event I was reading may have actually happened. However, as great an ending as it was, I felt that was clearly a fictional ending. I really enjoyed how it all came together.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”