Review by Manali_DC -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going is the story of Declan Noakes, a Vietnam War veteran who is currently living his life out of railway carriages along the Amtrak train routes. Unwilling and unable to settle down in one place, Declan is always on the run from any attachment or any suggestion of permanency. Suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and haunted by dreams and flashbacks of the war, Declan finds his escape in the "Juicy Fruit" sticks (aka high grade Marijuana) that he has smuggled in from Thailand. He also sells small quantities of this Marijuana to a few known contacts, and this is enough to support his frugal existence.

Declan would have been perfectly content to live out his life in this manner - sleeping in railway carriages and always on the move in a marijuana induced haze. But unfortunately, his stash of a million dollars worth of Juicy Fruit attracts a lot of unwanted attention. Officers Miguel Magana and Ike White, two shady and corrupt officers of the drug trafficking squad, start keeping a close track of Declan's activities. To further complicate matters, Ben Fisher, a fellow army veteran who was missing and presumed dead for years, suddenly resurfaces with the special intention of tracking down Declan. Rachel, a widow with three small children, is Declan's cousin and only family. When she gets unwittingly involved in the danger and the intrigue, Declan finds himself in the middle of action and chaos and he must take charge to lead himself and his family out of danger.

This is a story of a soldier trying desperately to adjust to civilian life after war. Always trying to outrun the dreams and flashbacks of horror and bloodshed, Declan copes by never settling down in one place and always existing in his drug-induced haze. The first part of the book deals with several of the flashbacks that continue to haunt Declan. This gives the reader an idea about the almost unreal and extreme levels of violence that he witnessed during the war. The stress of dealing with a situation always fraught with danger, of watching your friends and mates die and never quite understanding why you were still alive and whether it was your turn next! The reader cannot help but sympathize with Declan's predicament and drug dependency. And then there is Ben Fisher, another war survivor - but he couldn't have been more different from Declan. He comes back from the war determined to take everything, by force if necessary, that he thinks "Life" owes him. This contrast between the two characters who were shaped by a similar life event was brought out beautifully by the author and was one of the aspects I liked very much.

The first part of the story was a little like its main protagonist - slow and meandering with no definite destination in mind. But soon enough the story picks up, and like its hero, becomes focused, intense and fast-paced! It is a compelling story with an interesting cast of characters. The author does a great job of bringing alive some of the very visual aspects of the book - like hiding in the jungles of Vietnam while listening to your enemy pass a few yards away, or the changing landscape of America as Declan travels through the Amtrak routes.

The book is well-edited. The use of profane language and descriptions of violence are in keeping with the subject of the book and is what a reader would expect from a story about soldiers and war. I give The Juicy Fruit Man 3 out of 4 stars. Although described as a thriller, this book would also appeal to readers for the emotional aspects and mental health issues dealt with in the story.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This books seems to be an interesting read. I hope the soldier was able to move on and eliminate the ugly experiences during war. Great review.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 03:57 This books seems to be an interesting read. I hope the soldier was able to move on and eliminate the ugly experiences during war. Great review.
Unwillingly, Declan actually gets involved in a thrilling action packed adventure towards the end of the story. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. I'm interested in reading about post-war stories, so I'm quite curious how the lives of two veterans, Declan and Ben, would turn out.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I have heard of many stories that describe how soldiers deal with their PTSD. I must say that this one sounds very unique. It is interesting how Declan chose to live a nomadic drug-induced lifestyle after returning from war.

Thank you for a detailed and well-written review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Sou Hi wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 21:38 Thanks for your interesting review. I'm interested in reading about post-war stories, so I'm quite curious how the lives of two veterans, Declan and Ben, would turn out.
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 06:49 I have heard of many stories that describe how soldiers deal with their PTSD. I must say that this one sounds very unique. It is interesting how Declan chose to live a nomadic drug-induced lifestyle after returning from war.

Thank you for a detailed and well-written review.
:tiphat:
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I've read books about soldiers and how maximum of them suffer from PTSD after their missions. Thank you for putting up a comprehensive review of this interesting book. Nice work!
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I tried reading this book but I couldn't, due to its complexity. I may try again though, your review is quite interesting.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

SamaylaM wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 11:01 I've read books about soldiers and how maximum of them suffer from PTSD after their missions. Thank you for putting up a comprehensive review of this interesting book. Nice work!
True. And Declan's PTSD manifests as a desire to always escape reality and never settle down. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Godspraise Precious wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 00:57 I tried reading this book but I couldn't, due to its complexity. I may try again though, your review is quite interesting.
I did find the first few chapters of the book a little slow and meandering- though it picks up pace in the later half! Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing this review. I enjoyed reading it.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I enjoyed reading your review. The title caught my attention and your explanation was great.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”