Review by REIGNING20 -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review by REIGNING20 -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Huini Hellen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As humans, we are raised to loathe evil and every demonic being. Our spiritual leaders and religious doctrines argue that good and evil can never co-exist, as they both originate from absolutely different beings; their morality, personal principles and attributes differ. However, Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren has recreated a utopian society, where good and evil have to co-exist in harmony before morphing into one holistic aspect. This book deserves a maximum rating of four out of four stars because of its flawless attributes. I recommend it to lovers of thrillers and romantic books. However, sensitive readers may wish to avoid some gory scenes of murder and mutilation, which have been vividly depicted by the author.

Crighton is the greatest soul catcher for Lucifer, after delivering many souls to sustain Lucifer's insatiable desire and greed. However, there is something quite different about him that other demons cannot quite place right. Benjamin Poe, the captain of a group of firefighters, is sceptical about a fire incident that happened at the College Inn, whose cause the fire inspector alleged to have been caused by a faulty furnace. However, some coincidences are too sinister to be disregarded, especially as far as Gabriel, Benjamin's son, is concerned.

What I liked most about this book is the author's incredible creativity and vividness in his development of characters and plot. More significantly, his construction of several sub-plots that all contributed towards furthering the main plot was done exceptionally. This is because the plot deviations did not detract from my concentration of the main storyline. I also enjoyed the graphical representations of each demon and even Hell itself. More commendably is the fact that the author's descriptions closely resembled those that I have read in some religious books, an aspect that added more authenticity to the author's fantasy tale.

This book is told from the third-person perspective, with random involvement of the characters themselves to participate in the narration. Thus, I enjoyed reading the dialogues, which I found very engaging and realistic as well. McFarren allowed his characters to independently say whatever they felt like, without making their contribution to the conversations appear forced. I cannot fail to mention the author's manipulation of the flashback technique, which enabled him to provide background information to the reader without impeding the narration.

The book contains some grammatical mistakes, which were not glaring enough to interrupt my reading. I, therefore, believe that it was professionally edited. There is absolutely nothing that I disliked about this amazing text, which will undoubtedly leave any reader on the edge of their seats.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am just reading this book, and I agree with your perspective. Looking forward to finish it! Thank you for this detailed review that made me even more eager to continue!
Huini Hellen
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 07:40 I am just reading this book, and I agree with your perspective. Looking forward to finish it! Thank you for this detailed review that made me even more eager to continue!
Thank you for the comment.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

This seems like a unique supernatural book. Thanks for the informative review
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

:geek2:
Noelle770 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 11:28 This seems like a unique supernatural book. Thanks for the informative review
Thanks for your comment.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

seems to be a departure from the usual story lines come across these days. Your review is informative and engaging!
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

DANAWEB wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 14:02 seems to be a departure from the usual story lines come across these days. Your review is informative and engaging!
Thank you for the kind words.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

REIGNING20 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 04:51 However, Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren has recreated a utopian society, where good and evil have to co-exist in harmony before morphing into one holistic aspect.
This statement here got my brain activated 😂and I began to wonder how this could be possible. I'm a religious person so this one detail sounds impossible, unimaginable and not workable. How Can This come to be? I wonder how this author came up with this thought process. I love that you pointed this out. I'm looking forward to getting this book here or bought as paperback because the knowledge this author shared here questions my beliefs.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Chizioboli wrote: 08 Feb 2021, 16:54
REIGNING20 wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 04:51 However, Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren has recreated a utopian society, where good and evil have to co-exist in harmony before morphing into one holistic aspect.
This statement here got my brain activated 😂and I began to wonder how this could be possible. I'm a religious person so this one detail sounds impossible, unimaginable and not workable. How Can This come to be? I wonder how this author came up with this thought process. I love that you pointed this out. I'm looking forward to getting this book here or bought as paperback because the knowledge this author shared here questions my beliefs.
Thank you for the comment. Happy reading ahead.😊

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”