Official Review: The Shelton Mill by Elaine Gavigan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: "Cooking Across Italy" by Lucrezia Toste O'brien

Official Review: The Shelton Mill by Elaine Gavigan

Post by pricklypurple »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shelton Mill" by Elaine Gavigan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ellen has always wanted to be a journalist. It is her only passion in life. So, when she is laid off from her job at the Boston Chronicle newspaper, all of her dreams are crushed. In order to pay her bills, she is forced to sell her soul and take a job for Gargantua, an online job recruitment company. It just so happens that this is even the same company that is slowly putting her beloved newspaper out of business. While working for Gargantua, Ellen suddenly finds herself in the midst of some of Boston's biggest scandals. She becomes a bystander in mafia wars, corrupt politics, drug crimes, and international trafficking. 

The Shelton Mill by Elaine Gavigan is a truly exciting novel. From start to finish, it is jam-packed with action and interesting story lines. This book is a little bit crime fiction, a little bit mystery, and even a little bit romance. On top of being written very well and cleverly crafted, it is loaded with interesting characters. The author clearly put a lot of thought into her characters, and it is easy to fall in love with each one of them. Ellen and her friends, Rocco and Griffin, are all equally flawed and, at the same time, perfect complements to each other. It was a delight to read their interactions. 

I loved this novel. It never had a dull moment. The plot was so original, and it was obvious that the author had experience in and knowledge of the industries about which she was writing. The book was obviously professionally edited. I only found a few minor typographical errors. My favorite part of this book was the characters. Ellen was easy to relate to and to root for. All of the supporting cast were colorful and enjoyable as well. Even the villains were so well-written that it was hard not to enjoy them, too. I don't really have a least favorite part of this book. I enjoyed every aspect of it. 

I have to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It kept me entertained, and it brought me joy to read it. When it was over, I wanted more. I hope to read more stories about these characters in the future. I would definitely recommend this book to fans of crime fiction, mystery, or just high-quality writing. The story is so unique that it is refreshing, and I doubt anyone would be disappointed in giving this book a read. 

The Shelton Mill
View: on Bookshelves
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Tentacles of Destruction by Allen H. Walcott

Post by Drianie »

Your review convinced me, and I will have to add this to my to-read list. The unique premise with the many colorful characters can make for a good page-turner. Thanks for the recommendation! I enjoyed reading your thorough and well-written review!
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Goral »

I have always loved books that are filled with crime and mystery and this seems to be just what I've been looking for! It shall certainly be very exciting to read this book! Thankyou for the review!
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

Looking at the title, one would think that this is a horror book. But as I read this review, I can see it is an action packed thriller, and am sure I would enjoy reading it. Thanks for the review.
whitemunchkin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by whitemunchkin »

I'm currently starting to obsess over crime fiction genre, and reading your review made me excited! I'll include this book in my long list of must-reads!
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Retaking Eden by Pastor D

Post by Eutoc »

It's unfortunate Ellen's relief job brought her in the midst of a business scandal. I wonder if she's mentally prepared for the battle up ahead.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sararob06
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I love a good suspense novel. Your review was concise and I have a good idea of what to expect but you didn’t give too much away. I will be adding this to my TBR!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Fleet of Knives
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Whatever It Takes by Heaton Wilson

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to tell an intriguing investigation including interesting characters for an engaging crime thriller. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to ‚ÄúCrime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books‚ÄĚ