Review by plnjimenez -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by plnjimenez -- Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by plnjimenez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren, we get to know a firefighter by the name of Benjamin Poe. He is well-known and loved by his community. However, his personal life is not so perfect. He faces struggles within his family, especially with his son, after a fire broke out in his son’s workplace. It came upon his knowledge that it was his son who reported the call but was done so in a suspicious manner.

On the other hand, a devil comes to Earth to complete a mission. It involves Benjamin Poe and an angel. During the devil’s quest, he discovers hidden facts about his identity. He also meets another angel that made his ordinary devil life complicated. He learns of faith and unfamiliar emotions.

What I liked the most about Soul Seeker is that it never bores. Each page was full of action and drama that would hook you until the end. It makes you feel curious as to how the events will turn out. The author was quite creative in curating the plot. It is also commendable how she vividly narrated certain scenes. It keeps your imagination alive.

What I liked the least about Soul Seeker is that some parts come off with a childish tone. There are conversations between adults that sound shallow. The word choice has room for improvement. There is also a scene between the devil and the angel wherein they had a lover’s spat. It was erratic and lacked a smooth transition. I understand the author’s intention of showing the internal conflict of the characters. However, the switch from professing their love to denying each other could have had a better flow. The presentation of some scenes was awkward and lacked refinement.

I recommend Soul Seeker to readers who are fans of celestial beings. I am not a fan of fantasy, but the plot left me curious. I have no regrets in picking this book for a review. I now see fantasy books in a better light. Readers who also enjoy delving into different theories about holy beings may give this book a try. I would not recommend this to those who prefer realistic fiction. It does involve human beings but is heavier on angels and demons. They may not appreciate the story at all.

I rate Soul Seeker 3 out of 4 stars. It has great potential despite the writing style that can still be improved. It is commendable how the author is adept at describing intense scenes. The plot is creative and action-packed. It is an entertaining read and not easy to put down once you have started. Seeing as how the author can be imaginative, I am very much looking forward to her other books.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”