Review by emeraldlaurice012 -- Soul Seeker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Review by emeraldlaurice012 -- Soul Seeker

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Soul Seeker, by Kaylin McFarren, we meet Benjamin Poe. Poe was an ordinary person who was just trying to be a good father to his son and a good husband to his wife. He would like nothing but to spend the rest of his life with his wife in his arms while his son is in college. His hope for a future came crashing down when he found the true nature of his son. Poe’s life took a turn when Crighton, a strange man with glowing green eyes, suddenly appeared in their town. Crighton had one purpose for visiting their town: obtaining his son’s soul. Poe must do everything in his power to protect his son.

After reading this book, I felt like I read two books in one sitting. The book is divided into two parts, the story of Poe and the story of Crighton. The first part was really interesting and got me reading continuously. Poe’s story had more of a thriller and mystery vibe, while Crighton’s leaned more on paranormal romance. I liked Poe’s story the most, as it was really effective in creeping me out. I didn’t find anything that I dislike in this book. Even the paranormal aspect was very entertaining if you’re into reading about angels and devils. The romance was written beautifully and not overdone. As such, I would recommend this book to readers who are into paranormal, romance, and thriller books. I would not recommend this book to readers who prefer realistic and non-fiction books.

The book was very easy to read. There was no dull moment, and it was full of twists and turns. The author managed to surprise me many times, which was good since I’m not most often surprised by plot twists. My advice for people who would like to read this is to have patience as the first part of the book was actually just a very long introduction for the second part. Although that is the case, it was still very intriguing to read.

Although I immensely enjoyed this book, I had a few concerns as to how the author portrayed angels and devils. They were a bit too fragile, in my opinion. Aren’t they supposed to be immortal? There was also one scene where demons were using guns. Why would demons rely on guns? Why would demons be affected by bullets? These were my only concerns, and it did nothing to deter my enjoyment of the book.

The book was beautifully written and exceptionally edited; I found no errors while reading it. All in all, I’m giving this book 4 out of 4 stars for taking me through a whirlwind plot full of murders, mysteries, angels, demons, and soulmates. The 4-star rating was also because of how interesting it was to read the thoughts of such a complex character as Crighton. Reading this was an experience that I want to share with everyone.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gift Olubankole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giftabbie.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Gift Olubankole »

Thank you for this review! You have explicitly explained the awesomeness of this book in such few words. I totally love this book. And yes, I agree on some aspects that made angels and demons seem weak, but regardless, it is an interesting book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”