Official Review: SISTERS IN CRIME: A Quirke Detective Age...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: SISTERS IN CRIME: A Quirke Detective Agency Novel by Deedee Messana

Official Review: SISTERS IN CRIME: A Quirke Detective Age...

Post by pricklypurple »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SISTERS IN CRIME: A Quirke Detective Agency Novel" by Deedee Messana.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dash Quirke is known at school as Monster Girl because of her love of all things horror-related. She has a strong desire to become a private detective just like her late parents were. Chandler Quirke, Dash's older sister, is studying to be a lawyer but toys with the idea of being a magician as well. Together, the two sisters must raise each other while fighting crime and solving mysteries. The latest caper Dash is involved in is that of a missing girl from her school. With the help of her sister and friends, Dash tries to get to the bottom of the potential kidnapping while occasionally risking her life in the process.

I loved Sisters in Crime: A Quirke Detective Agency Novel by Deedee Messana. It's a fast-paced whodunnit mystery story involving a pleasantly quirky cast of characters. This is the first in a series and serves as a great introduction to the sisters. I'm always skeptical when books have children as the main characters, but this novel was a fun read and appropriate for a mature audience as well as for young adults. Dash Quirke is a fantastic narrator. She is witty and full of pop culture references from 1960, the year this book takes place. 

I liked almost all aspects of this book. The characters were well-written. The plot made sense. There were a sufficient number of twists, and the mystery wasn't easily predicted. My favorite part of the book was the inner dialogue Dash had. Her thoughts were very comical, and she had many quotable moments. One example is when she said, "I was so rusty, an encounter with me would require a tetanus shot!" 

Although the book is suitable for both young and old readers, I didn't enjoy the fact that the author added in obvious explanations of terms throughout the book. This was done through Dash's voice but still felt a bit unnatural and unnecessary. It made the book seem more as if it were written for a much younger audience, and that was not cohesive with the rest of the novel. This was my least favorite part of the book, because it took away from the rest of the story. The brief pauses to explain a term like shell shock, for example, that anyone reading would have heard of before, seemed silly to me. 

Overall, this book seemed well-written, but I still found quite a few editing errors that should have been caught if it were professionally edited. These included instances like putting the word "wiring" instead of "writing" or omitting articles or prepositions. However, nothing distracted me so much that I wasn't still able to enjoy the story. Therefore, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to fans of detective novels and feel-good mysteries. I also think it is suitable for younger readers. It does have some darker content, so it may not be best for the very young to read. I had fun with this book and look forward to reading more in the series. 

SISTERS IN CRIME: A Quirke Detective Agency Novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Luluwa79
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Luluwa79 »

It's such an engaging read filled with suspense and mysteries.
Who would have imagined a young girl playing detective, i would love to give it a try though.
Nice review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

This seems like a good read.. Thanks for a honest review.

Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

It's good to know that the mystery wasn't easily predicted. This is a book I would love to read.

Devika Rajesh
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading: The Raven's Trail
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B076HWYMJQ

Post by Devika Rajesh »

I like detective novel especially with strong female protagonists. I am looking forward to read this book. Thanks for sharing the honest review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an interesting mystery, though the "comic relief" moments are a bit weird. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”