Official Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: In the Shadow of the Furies by Cary Reed

Official Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "House of Dads" by June Gillam.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The battle between a mother and her daughter can be gruesome, especially when they have a clash of interest. What length can they go to get their desire? That is the premise on which House of Dads by June Gillam is written.

The book can be summarized in three words "clash of interest." Violet grew up to always take instructions from her mother, Maggie. However, her life goal was to become the CEO of her grandfather's company. It happened that neither her grandfather, father, or mother wanted that for her. After her father and twin brother died, the mantle of leadership fell on her until an appropriate male comes of age to inherit the company. Maggie was eager to do anything to make sure her daughter or any other female didn't inherit the company. Violet, on the other hand, would go to any length to seize the mantle of leadership.

The author gave us access to the thought patterns of the characters. She described what it was like to be in each character's mind and made it as real as a typical person's mind. The book was written from the different characters' points of view. That way, I could see things the way they saw it and understand their different personalities. This aspect of the book appealed to me the most.

The author's descriptions in the book are both detailed and graphic. It feels like she is carefully doing a painting, but instead of using a brush and paint, she uses words. She is truly a gifted writer, very skilled with words, and a natural at the use of figurative terms.

I loved how the author was informal in her writing. The author employed a simple writing style, and her use of contracted words also proved that the author wanted to relate to her readers on a plane they could easily understand.

The book's title suggests a mysterious and horrifying narrative. Well, the book combines investigation with a hint of horror. It is quite engaging and thrilling. And most of all, it is educational.

I love how the author ends the book. It is not conclusive; a lot of things are left unsaid and a lot of areas untouched. This suggests that the author has a plan for a continuation, and it also leaves some level of suspense in the reader's mind.

I must commend the editors for doing such a fantastic job. I found no errors in the book. Frankly, there was nothing to dislike about this book — it was exceptionally written and professionally edited. Therefore, I'd give it a four out of four stars rating. Lovers of good fiction would enjoy this book. There was also an explicit description of sexual activities. Hence, I wouldn't recommend this book to a young reading audience.

House of Dads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: Followers of Lightning by Charles Bentley

Post by Sararob06 »

The title caught my eye and instead of giving me a horrifying/thrilling vibe, for some reason it brought to mind endless dad jokes. I was not expecting this book to be a thriller and read this review strictly to see what it was about. Your review has me very interested and I will certainly be putting this on my TBR shelf.

Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 801
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vannaskivt »

The cover and title of this book led me to think it was a totally different genre! I'm glad your review clarified that for me. I might consider picking this up since it sounds like a riveting plot. Thank you for the review.

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Honest Endings by Katherine Cullen
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I read House of Hoops by this author and enjoyed it very much. I am a little confused by the title of this one, but I guess I just need to read the book and discover the meaning for myself. Thanks for the review.

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The title of the book had me thinking it was about something else.
Nonetheless, I love this storyline. If there is anyone who can relate to the frustrations of clash of interest or personality, I can. It comes with a lot of emotional baggage. I'd love to read this book and know what the case is like here.
I enjoyed reading your review, nice work.
Live and let live, baby.

MrsCatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 501
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: The Stages of Rot by Eden Tijerina
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I was expecting something different, based on the title, then what you described in the summary. My expectation was for a comedy, not a mystery.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: Gunner's Leap
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Guarding Doors by James G Davis

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This sounds like an intriguing and well-crafted book. I'm curious about why Violet's mother would not let any female take the company.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intense story of different ambitions, motivations, and relationships that are quite complex, often in contrast. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”