Review by Bertha Jackson -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review by Bertha Jackson -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waterworks by Jack Winnick is the fifth book in the Lara and Ura series. In this book, Lara and Uri are getting ready to start their vacation in Los Angeles. They have high hopes that relaxation will allow Lara to become pregnant. Their vacation is interrupted when the Los Angeles Aqueduct Filtration Plant is contaminated by the deadly poison polonium. Since the Los Angeles contamination is not as successful as they wanted, the Iranians plan Project Neptune. This plan is for the disruption of the United States drinking water infrastructure by contaminating the San Francisco water supply. Lara and Uri are called to active duty to infiltrate the Iranians in Tehran to discover and stop their plans. Can they do this without getting captured? Will they be successful?

The author demonstrates an abundance of knowledge of the complex water systems in both Los Angeles and San Francisco’s infrastructures. He provides powerful insight into the terrorist network fighting against the Jewish people, both in Israel and in the United States. Descriptions of the Tehran prison system adequately shows how terrorists could choose martyrdom over imprisonment. The author’s writing style made me feel like I was there and made me fearful of drinking tap water. The story is so realistic it makes me wonder if terrorists will eventually contaminate our water supply. The author has definitely done his research.

The thing I liked best about this book is how the author focuses each chapter on specific characters or events. This makes it easier to follow the plot and keep my mind focused on what is happening at that time. The terrorist activities kept me riveted to my chair and not wanting to put the book down. This book will make you stop and wonder about the sweet little old lady next door. Is she really an international spy? There was nothing I disliked about the book. The book was action-packed from beginning to end.

I would recommend this book to adults 18 years and older. Some gory parts may not be suitable for younger readers. Some older readers may be upset by the terrorist activities that are graphic. There is mild profanity and sexual content that probably will not be offensive to readers. There is no religious content.

This is a well-written book that has been professionally edited. I only found one small error in the entire book. I gladly give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Oh! A mysterious old lady that could be an international spy. Intriguing! Is her identity a cliffhanger? Would you consider this book a stand-alone with this mysterious character? Thanks for the insights.
Petronila O
Favorite Book: Annihilation
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 556

Post by Petronila O »

I don't like mysterious book and this is one of them it's like the old lady was a spy or something, but will recommend it to those who like such books
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

an enigmatic elderly woman who might be a spy from another country. Intriguing! Is it suspenseful to learn who she is?
Would you say that this book, with its enigmatic character, can stand alone? I appreciate your insights.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Thank you for the thorough analysis!
Mabel Minny
Currently Reading: On writing a memoir of the craft
Bookshelf Size: 11
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Mabel Minny »

Thank you for this review! How scary to think that this situation could be a possibility. I've added this to my overgrowing TBR list.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”