Official Review: "Let's Disappear" and &q...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: "Let's Disappear" and "Emergence" by Gary L. Stuart

Official Review: "Let's Disappear" and &q...

Post by Samgum50 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Let's Disappear" and "Emergence"" by Gary L. Stuart.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let’s Disappear is a book by Gary L. Stuart that follows 17-year-old Vivian and Stephan, her father. The two of them are in witness protection because Stephan is a witness for the FBI for an ongoing case. When Stephan realizes that their safety may be at risk and that there might be more to the investigation than he thought, the two of them decide to disappear. Vivian’s “brother” Vince helps them out on their disappearing mission from time to time. However, leaving behind their false identities and running away may not be as simple as they had thought. Especially when it’s not just the FBI looking for them.

Emergence is the second book in the duology. The story picks up from where the first book ended. When Julia Santerra- Evans threatened Vivian, Vince knew he must do everything possible to keep her safe and get revenge for what Julia did to them. On the other hand, Julia won’t go down without a fight, and taking her down may not be as easy as they’d thought.

I really enjoyed reviewing both Let’s Disappear and Emergence. The books are wonderfully written, and the storyline is very captivating. There are many twists and turns throughout both books that are bound to keep readers entertained. One of the first things I liked about both books was their wonderful covers. I find them both attractive, and initially, that’s what drew my attention before I read the blurb. Kudos to the book cover designer for their wonderful work.

I would also like to congratulate Gary L. Stuart for his splendid work with these books. I think it’s wonderfully ironic that the author wrote a book whose main character (Vivian) is writing a book about a character who is also writing a book. I could tell that he had put a lot of effort into researching this book. It’s evident when reading the FBI scenes (which seem very authentic) and all the information provided about Dissociative Identity Disordered.

I like the fact that law enforcement related terms were well explained in the book. It made it easier to get into the story because I understood what certain characters meant when they used specific terms. I appreciate the fact that the book brings awareness to mental disorders like DID. Not many people know about such mental health disorders, and I think this story is going to change that. I feel like portrayed well, and there was enough information for readers to comprehend more about the condition.

Even though I liked reading both books, there were a few critiques that are worth mentioning. For instance, the first book ended with Julia arrested by New Zealand police. However, the second book starts with her being free and in America again. I did not understand how she got free. Did she run away or, was she released?

I also don’t understand how Julia was able to walk around without being hunted down by the people she betrayed. I would’ve thought that they would have been resentful that she turned on them and assisted the FBI. Also, in the first book during a murder scene, a mysterious character named Stunt Jaueger was briefly introduced. I feel like the books never explained this character well enough for my liking. Was he working with the Sinoloa Cartel? Or was he sent by some other party involved with Stephan’s case? Or was he just a citizen who ended up at a scene of a crime?

Therefore, I will be giving both Let’s Disappear and Emergence an overall rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I chose to give that rating because I like the story. Both books delivered enough suspense and mystery that kept me hooked. The books seemed professionally edited. I did not encounter any errors whatsoever while reading. Also, the few critiques I had did not hinder my enjoyment of both books.

The books do contain the use of swear words. Plus, there are graphic scenes depicting murder and violence. I would recommend both Let’s Disappear and its sequel Emergence to readers interested in mystery thrillers as well as books that deal with crime.

"Let's Disappear" and "Emergence"
View: on Bookshelves

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

These two novels seem to for an exciting thriller that, despite the flaws you pointed out, should be suspenseful enough to keep the readers' attention until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”