Review by Wayne wayne -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wayne wayne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-wayne.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Review by Wayne wayne -- The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Wayne wayne »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Attuned" by Gary B. Haley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Attuned by Gary B. Haley is an adventurous story of a hero with unique powers, which he uses for good purposes. While in the Middle East, he and FBI Special Agent Carla, his lover and partner crime, almost get killed while fighting terrorists. Detective Kemal comes to their rescue and promises to take them home, but our hero is left in Turkmenistan Campus where they want to exploit his special powers. He finds himself in a tight situation. Without any form of identification, he can't book a flight to America and since he is a wanted man in the Middle East, he has to find a way to get back home.

This is not just a crime story, but also an adventure as our hero tries to find his way back to America. I commend the author for his unique technique in writing this book. Even though it's a sequel to the The Attunement, it can be read as a stand-alone. He creates suspense with unsynced events, and I love how this makes the story unpredictable. Our hero narrates in the first person and the conversations between himself are interesting. He takes up most of the book, describing his woes and his journey in a compelling way; the author has a beautiful way of describing scenarios, especially nature.

The characterization is exemplary, as all characters fit their roles perfectly. I felt some characters are there to create suspense and to make the hero's journey interesting since they seem to lose their relevance after they meet him. There are a few loose ends that left me hanging, involving some characters whose stories had a hint of conspiracy. With the author's unique style, I find this a way of creating suspense, such that the reader anticipates the next book.

I like how the simple title manifests itself in the book through our hero, and Chip, a character who also has unique powers. While our hero uses his powers to save lives, Chip uses his powers to earn a living. Other activities such as FBI investigations are only mentioned when relevant. The author has a military background which he manifests in the book as he describes rocky mountains in the Middle East and our hero's survival tactics in the desert and the jungle. The hero's journey through the jungle, rivers and lakes gives the book a great touch of reality.

The book is well-edited, and with nothing to dislike about the book, I rate 4 out of 4 stars. The structure of the book is amazing and the chapters are well-organized. It's evident that the author conducted intense research when writing the book. I would recommend the book to crime and conspiracy enthusiasts. There are instances of profanity, gambling, violence and mass murder. Therefore, I would not recommend the book to young readers.

The Attuned
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”