Official Review: The Impossible Mock Orange trial

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading: Gunner's Leap
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Guarding Doors by James G Davis

Official Review: The Impossible Mock Orange trial

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Impossible Mock Orange trial" by Thad G. Long.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Impossible Mock Orange trial by Thad G. Long started with a terrible car crash in Phoenix County. On that fateful day, the left rear tire of Sam Johnson's van suddenly blew out. The car immediately went out of control and slammed into a large mock orange tree. Two adults and one girl sustained mild injuries, while a boy was in critical condition. However, the last passenger was not as lucky as her fellows. Four-year-old Sarena had lost her life forever and no longer had a chance to wear her new Easter dress. Shortly after the incident, the victims sued Tergano Motor Corporation and Universal Tire Company, the makers of the vehicle and the tires. Was this a conspiracy? How did Ted Born and his team prove that their client was not responsible for this? With the victims being African Americans, would this case lead to racial conflicts?

One of the best parts of this novel is the author's fascinating and realistic writing style. Despite being a C/T/M/H fiction, there are no detectives and criminals here. This book shows us the entire process of a lawsuit. I get to learn a lot of useful things, such as the procedures, the mock trial, the ways to gain evidence, and the jury system. And while the plot focuses on the prosecution, it doesn't mean this novel is boring. On the contrary, it constantly keeps me on the edge of my seat. The book is filled with twists and turns, showing us the characters' journeys through prejudices and oppositions. I am very content with the result of the case, seeing that there are still those who are willing to side with justice.

Another significant thing is that the issue of racism is depicted very appropriately. While Ted is a white man, Dave is a young black lawyer. One could expect that they may not get along well. At first, they were very wary of each other and had to be careful with everything they did or said. But then Dave realized that he's human. Even more than being an African American, he's a man and a lawyer. Prejudice was nothing but a burden, and it would hinder them from proving the truth. I was overjoyed when the two men cast away their preconceptions and joined hands to defend the innocents.

Nonetheless, this copy really needs another round of proofreading, as there are too many grammar errors. Also, you will need a good understanding of lawsuits and car tires to comprehend this case entirely.

Sadly, I can only give this copy 3 out of 4 stars. Even though this is a well-written book with an interesting plot, the editing is too sloppy. I would recommend this to both teenagers and adults who like C/T/M/H novels. And I think law students and lawyers will find this useful. Besides the knowledge, this also offers nice lessons about mindsets and moralities. Our skin colors may be different, but we can be together by overcoming our prejudgments.

The Impossible Mock Orange trial
View: on Bookshelves

Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Birth of a Unicorn by Heather Wilde
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I like the book's storyline and wish its editing was properly done. Nevertheless, editing can be rectified, so I am adding this one to my bookshelf. Thanks for the awesome review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the complexities and the editing problems, this seems a suspenseful novel that also offers some food for thought on some moral issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

The court room is usually an interesting plot. However, time will not permit me to read this book. Thanks for your review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

I liked your explanation of how Ted and Dave's relationship developed. I don't know how much I need to know about tires! This is an engaging review. I enjoyed your writing and your descriptions!

Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Ayindelaw »

Hi Sou Hi,
Funnily enough, I just finished reading a review of a book that advises one to cast away prejudices. Coincidentally, your fantastic review says the same. On the other hand, I think that the book's plot is a bit similar to John Grisham's legal thrillers. I hate court cases, but I love legal thrillers.

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: Crimson at Cape May by Randy Overbeck

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I don't think this is a book I would enjoy reading, but great review.

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: My Name is Red
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Interesting plot! I love to read a good book about lawsuits, too bad it wasn't edited properly. Thank you for your great review!

lavenderbooks20
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavenderbooks20.html
Latest Review: Counterplay by Dennis Norman

Post by lavenderbooks20 »

This book has an important message to tell. Ted and Dave setting aside their prejudices and working harmoniously sounds lovely. Thank you for such an insightful review!

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I enjoy reading these kinds of books. Lawsuits are interesting. I definitely want to read this one. Thanks for your brilliant review!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Create the Life You Want by Raymond P. Gerson

Post by Ellylion »

I love when a book has some educational side as well :) I would love to read this one. Hope the editorial part improves soon! Thanks for a great review!

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: The Last Minder by Fish Phillips

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

What a bad day and unfortunate child. I'm happy that there's so many things to learn. Great review!

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

The company that makes the tire was sued by victims of the car accident because accident happened due to the tire exploding looks quite an conspiracy theory story to me. Thanks for your honest review. I felt sad for the young child.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by Manali_DC »

I love reading court room dramas and this sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for a great review!

Kirsi_78
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kirsi_78 »

What an intriguing storyline. The author is using fiction to deal with important real-life matters. Too bad this book has been a victim of sloppy editing, otherwise it sounds like a great read. Thanks for your thorough review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”