Review by Kreads1 -- East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Kreads1 -- East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Kreads1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "East Wind, 2nd edition" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick, is the first of five books in a thrilling espionage series.

A dirty nuclear bomb has just been unleased on Marina del Rey, killing thousands of people. As authorities race to determine responsibility for this terrorist attack, they receive a demand from an unknown source in the Middle East. The United States must immediately cease all aid to Israel. Similar attacks will be unleashed on multiple American cities, causing many casualties if the United States does not comply. Now authorities are rushing to locate those behind the Marina del Rey attack to prevent additional terrorist attacks.

Authorities turn to an unlikely duo to aid them in their task. Lara Edmond works for the FBI and has created technology that monitors and locates online correspondence associated with terrorism. Uri Levin, a spy with the Mestada of the Israeli Mossad, is introduced to Lara. Soon Lara and Uri are entrusted with preventing any additional terrorist attacks on United States soil.

From here, a thrilling espionage storyline unfolds. The author kicks off this espionage series with a compelling page-turner. Winnick’s writing style is engaging and detailed. His knowledge in the subject area concerning the history of terrorism is evident in his writing. I appreciated that the author included a romantic element to this storyline. Since the main plot of this book centers around the nuclear bomb detonated in Los Angeles and the prevention of additional attacks, the romantic elements allowed me to take a step back from the terrorism taking place. Winnick does a beautiful job of balancing the action with the romance.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the character development of Lara and Uri. Both Lara and Uri come from interesting backgrounds, presented throughout East Wind, 2nd edition. Lara and Uri are dynamic characters and their trials and tribulations added to the intrigue behind the action-packed storyline. How Lara and Uri’s characters interact transforms throughout the book. This character development was engaging and well-written. While I also enjoyed the action-packed storyline, the relationship between Lara and Uri was riveting.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book. That said, I did find myself struggling through the parts of this book that describe the history of terrorism. In my opinion, these portions of the book were very in-depth but became confusing while reading. They were almost too detailed for my liking. I appreciate the author’s desire to share this history in the storyline. I began losing interest in the history of the past because I wanted to read more about what was currently happening in the present. Because this opinion is subjective, it did not negatively impact my overall rating of East Wind, 2nd edition.

It does appear that professional editing is necessary. During my reading, I found one minor error involving punctuation. In addition to this minor error, I did note that there were some issues related to spacing. For example, there is a large space between one sentence in a paragraph and the sentence that follows. These spaces do not appear intentional and disrupted my reading on more than one occasion. These issues in spacing did impact my overall rating of this book.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy thrilling storylines, especially if they also enjoy storylines centered around espionage, FBI or CIA investigations, or terror plots. East Wind, 2nd edition includes all of these elements and will appeal to readers interested in these topics. It is important to note profanity occurs in this book. Also, there is a romantic element to this book, and there is some graphic adult content related to sexual acts. I would recommend this book for a mature or adult audience. I would not recommend this book to individuals who are sensitive to graphic descriptions of death, terrorism, or the history of terrorism.

I give East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick, 3 out of 4 stars. This rating takes into account the punctuation and spacing errors noted. I’m looking forward to reading the second book in this series, Devil Among Us.

East Wind, 2nd edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TalJB22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taljb22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by TalJB22 »

Great review! I just finished reading this book as well and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to continuing the series!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”