Official Review: Void by Tayma Tameem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Void by Tayma Tameem

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Void" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vanished is the first book of a series entitled Void, written by Tayma Tameem. The novel dives into the frightful and troublesome theme of a missing child and the terrible consequences it entails.

Ryan and Sally Gallager are a middle-class couple like millions of others in America. They have a four-year-old daughter, Jessica, and a baby boy, AJ. At the beginning of the story, readers learn that Ryan had lost his job at a major pharmaceutical research company and kept this from his wife, an exhausted stay-at-home mom. To make things worse, AJ Gallager disappears from his crib on the night of his first birthday party. A skillful detective named Alan Banks gets assigned to the case, and he is as experienced and persistent as they come. Baker is determined to find out what happened to the baby boy. As is often the case with this type of crime, everyone is a suspect, relatives included. The question then becomes if this seemingly perfect family could be hiding something.

The book has two strengths: the puzzle (what happened to AJ) and the well-developed characters. What I liked the most about this story was its mysterious atmosphere, especially in the first half of the book. I enjoyed the way the investigation revealed a couple of shady secrets, but I can’t give away spoilers! I also liked the way the author developed both protagonists. Ryan and Sally are nuanced and multilayered, and so is Alan Banks, the detective. There was more than enough backstory to help readers understand their motivations, which I appreciated. Ryan’s suffering and ambivalence are heartbreaking, and the detective’s relentless pursuit of clues was also a noteworthy positive. I could relate to them, and it kept me invested in the story.

On the other hand, after the first half of the book, the story starts to drag a bit. From a certain point, after a couple of secrets get revealed, I found it less pleasurable to read. I felt it climaxed a bit early, and the remainder of the book failed to keep up the tension of the first chapters. The ending was a bit frustrating, too.

In closing, I felt the positives outweighed the negatives, so I decided to rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I’m subtracting a star due to the negatives previously mentioned, especially the unbalanced story arc. Still, it was an entertaining read, and if you enjoy a mixture of crime, mystery, and drama, you will surely enjoy it.

Void
View: on Bookshelves

namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

I have read one of Tayma Tameems book i know he is a great author.thumbs. up on reading the book.nice job on your review

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

Overall, this seems an interesting mystery, with some editing to rework its pacing and give it a better balance, it might be great. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Salami Leh Beirut
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Daniel Kossov - Pictures of an Outstanding Musician by Rosemary Ellen Tingley

Post by Pluma »

This book sounds like it has an engaging mystery at the center; I'm intrigued to find out what happened to AJ and what secrets the family are hiding. It’s a pity about the issues you mentioned, though, as I could see how they would affect the enjoyment of reading the book. Thanks for the great review!

Clancy193
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy193.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Clancy193 »

Sounds like another epic book! Also most authors sort of expose the readers, too early to secret, hence it just decrease the book's enjoyment. Read a couple of books like that. I love being put on the suspense train when reading a book.

Clancy193
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy193.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Clancy193 »

I forgot to mention. The book's cover is super awesome! I loved it!

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds intense! I am intrigued by all the secrets. It's disappointing to hear that the action drops off in the second half. Thanks for an honest review.

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Sounds like fascinating thriller story. would definitely love to give it a read. Thank you for a well written review

Vivdija
Currently Reading: How to be successful
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Vivdija »

This is an amazing book. I love the mystery in the book. I only put it down after reading all the chapters. Good review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”