Official Review: Strangle Your Gods by Matt Prinz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Scepter of Flint by N.L. Holmes

Official Review: Strangle Your Gods by Matt Prinz

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strangle Your Gods" by Matt Prinz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two young girls are found dead around the same period; they’ve been murdered. However, both cases are closed after some evidence found on what seems like a suicide scene ties the murders to a young poet that was just found dead on a shack. Detective Lincoln doesn’t buy the whole thing; he thinks there is more to the deaths but is waved off by his partner, Detective Rowland, and the lead detective, Smith.

Weeks later, just after Lincoln’s retirement, another body is found. Rowland now shares Lincoln’s sentiments that there is a sociopath in town, and he is responsible for all the deaths. Smith, on the other hand, wants to treat this latest case as a fresh one. Rowland’s efforts to get Smith to see the light gets him thrown off the case. With Lincoln’s help, can Rowland prove that the cases are connected? Or is he just as crazy as his retired partner?

Meanwhile, Aaron has just been recruited by W into his cult-like school, alongside seven others. With the recent death of his friend, Diamond, Aaron is even more convinced that one of the students is responsible for all the deaths, including Diamond’s. He sets out to investigate. Are his suspicions accurate? Will he find the culprit? Are there more casualties? How is W involved in all these? The answers to all these questions lie within the pages of this piece called Strangle Your Gods, written by Matt Prinz.

I am always excited to read mystery books, so I was quick to pick this one. I have to say that the author has penned down an interesting read; I enjoyed it for a lot of reasons. Firstly, the level of suspense throughout this book was second to none. I wasn’t able to decipher the outcome of any event until it happened. As a result, I was glued to my chair, flipping through each page and wondering what was going to happen next, until the last page. The second thing I enjoyed was the book's pace. It wasn’t too slow or too fast and was just right for the story. Another strong aspect of this novel is its characterization. Most characters in this book are sufficiently developed, and as a result, I was able to connect with most of them.

My favorite character is Lincoln. I found him to be an unconventional thinker. When people saw a double homicide, he was able to look past the charade to analyze things for what they were. Additionally, I was pleased to see that the author employed mostly dialogue between characters and an occasional third-person narrative style. As a result, the story had a sense of immediacy that dictated the story's pace.

The only reservation I have about this book is that I found the roles of Rebecca and Amy in the "mystery-solving" process questionable. Rebecca and Amy were among the students accepted into W's school. The information that was said to have been figured out by the two girls came suddenly, and there was nothing in the earlier parts of the book that suggested that they had planned anything. For example, the video that was said to have been provided by Rebecca that explained the whereabouts of Sam, one of the recruits, seemed baseless. If she had that video all along, why did we learn about it just then?

In all, this novel is a good one and would appeal to people that love mystery and fiction books. However, I also recommend that sensitive readers and those less than 18 steer clear of this one. The novel not only contains the use of non-borderline profane words, but it also contains significant descriptions of sex scenes. Meanwhile, the book seems like it is professionally edited, as I found only four minor grammatical errors throughout the text. All things considered, my rating for Strangle Your Gods is 3 out of 4 stars. The one-star deduction is a result of the issues I found with the some characters, as discussed in the previous paragraph.

Strangle Your Gods
View: on Bookshelves

AtienoMagero
Currently Reading: The Arrow That Flies By Day
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by AtienoMagero »

Amazing review! I've always liked murder mysteries and this book seems really interesting. I'm definitely going to be reading this.

Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

This book sounds thrilling and complicated! I love a mystery. Thanks for a thorough review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems an intriguing mystery full of surprises that keep the readers' attention. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Sounds like fascinating thriller story. would definitely love to give it a read. Thank you for a well written review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”