Official Review: Parts Per Million

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Traffic Court by Mitch Rosen

Official Review: Parts Per Million

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Parts Per Million" by Mitchell Wido and K.R. Gordon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parts Per Million by Mitchell Wido and K.R. Gordon is a story about the Puppies Behind Bars program. Five puppies are born in a women’s prison, where they are to be raised to become part of law enforcement, as explosive detection canines. The puppies are named Dunkin, Deja, Disney, Dover, and Dolly. Prison inmates, Shawanda, Martha, and Didi train the puppies for the first 12 months of their life. Dunkin dies shortly after birth from “wasting puppy syndrome.” After the remaining four puppies turn 12 months of age, they are assigned to handlers in the Federal Canine Training Program. If the dogs and their handlers complete this training successfully, they will go their separate ways to follow their individual career paths. If the dogs or handlers make even one mistake during the final test, they will be disqualified from the program. One mistake in the field can mean death for one, or both of them. Will these four puppies and their handlers survive training, or will they be replaced? Will they survive the training, only to die in duty?

This book will take you to a Taliban combat zone in Afganistan, cartel wars on the Border, a murder case, and the arrest of a fugitive. You will go into a women’s prison and learn how these yellow labs are trained as puppies. To be successful, the handlers and dogs need to love and trust each other. The dogs can sense their handler’s stress and emotions, and this can distract them from doing their jobs. Dogs have normal tendencies to be affectionate and loyal, but these special dogs’ training and personalities go beyond what you see in most households. They go into extremely dangerous situations without any hesitation.

There were a couple of things I liked about this book. First, as an animal lover, I liked how it is stressed that dogs need love and affection. Second, each chapter was devoted to a single character and their dog which made it easier to remember which dog was assigned to whom. There was nothing I disliked about this book. It was well-written and had only a few minor errors that had no impact on the story.

I recommend this book to older teens and adults, who are interested in dog training or crime. It is not appropriate for younger readers due to some of the profanity. There is mild sexual content that probably will not be offensive to most readers.

I believe this book was professionally edited because I only found two formatting errors and two typographical errors. I am happy to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Parts Per Million
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Drianie »

Wow, this book seems to incorporate some interesting elements that I would never have been able to guess based on the cover page. Thanks for the recommendation! I enjoyed reading your informative review!
lynnwwork
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lynnwwork »

Typically, anything about dogs is bound to be very captivating. I am a big dog lover and if I can understand them a bit better, that will always be a plus. I have never thought what service dogs go through, and this would be a perfect insight into that world. It would also be lovely to gain knowledge on different relationship dynamics between man and animal. Looking forward to this read.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Reality Games by Tom Reissmann

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting novel about dogs and their relationship to humans. I've never seen a novel of this kind. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

What an interesting premise for a book. I work at a children's hospital where we use pet therapy and at first, I thought this was going in that direction for the inmates. I can imagine there are therapeutic aspects for the inmates to be around the dogs. It is an interesting mutual relationship. Thanks for the great review!
Judith Lloy
2021 Reading Goal: 120
Currently Reading: Living Well with Depression and Bipolar Disorder
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-lloy.html
Latest Review: Space Has No Frontier by John Bromley-Davenport

Post by Judith Lloy »

I love the premise for this book, it sounds like it will take the reader into the world of these kinds of programs that are so important, but seldom seen by the general public. It looks to be a unique and interesting read. I appreciate the insightful review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”