Official Review: A Redhead and a Rebel Poet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 492
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Shh...Mommy has a Migraine by Penny Teague
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: A Redhead and a Rebel Poet

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Redhead and a Rebel Poet" by Jose Talleyrand Rodriguez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Redhead and a Rebel Poet is a fascinating collection of short fiction by Venezuelan author Jose Talleyrand Rodriguez. A major theme running throughout the stories is women doing what they must to survive. The fact that the author utilizes his literary skills to criticize the way that women continue to be objectified and treated as second-class citizens in the twenty-first century was the aspect of the book that I liked best.

In the titular story, there is a question as to whether the nameless redhead who inspired the rebel poet, Damián Arrizabalaga, is a real person or a fictional character created to inspire the rebels. Either way, she holds men in her sway and leaves behind a trail of dead bodies.

In “Rita Maria, Led Zeppelin, and The Welser,” the titular character, Rita Maria, argues that Led Zeppelin’s song “Whole Lotta Love” reduces the female body to an object that seeks or gives pleasure. In “La Adelita,” the titular character gains the upper hand on the corrupt industrialist Néstor Arreaza-Bosch, who purchased her as a sex slave.

Other stories in the book are unrelated to the core theme. “Corpses” features a tale where exact duplicates of deceased historical icons are being brought into a morgue. “A Kite” tells the story of a Papagayo flying over a city, the sight of which inspires each viewer to take various life-altering actions.

The stories in this book are compelling, enjoyable, and well-written. This is a revised edition of the book, which I reviewed previously. The new edition has removed many of the spelling and grammar errors that existed in the first edition, although a few typos remain, and I still felt that the paragraphs in “A Kite” were too long.

The typos were the only aspect of the book that I disliked, but this is a minor quibble. They weren’t severe enough to disrupt my enjoyment of the stories. I would easily rate the book four out of four stars for the quality of the stories, and the author did fix quite a few issues that were present in the first edition. However, I feel that there are enough minor errors remaining that my score for this book remains three out of four stars.

I recommend A Redhead and a Rebel Poet for readers who enjoy intense, gritty short stories. The violence and erotic content in the book is not particularly graphic, but readers who would prefer to avoid violent and sexual scenes would be advised to give this book a pass.

A Redhead and a Rebel Poet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Ash Ock
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an interesting collection of short stories with themes that keep the readers' attention and offer some food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

This sure sounds interesting. I book of short, interesting stories such as this will be worth reading.
Thanks for the review.

Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Sounds like an intriguing collection of short stories. i’m definitely willing to give it a try. Thank you for a well written review

The quiet book lover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-quiet-book-lover.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by The quiet book lover »

The stories sound really thought provoking! Reading the review I was considering giving the book a try until I got to the last paragraph where it mentions the “erotic content”.
Thanks for such an informative review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”