Official Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 82
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: The Deeper Shadow by A.M. Adair

Official Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Akira Hamada is haunted by a past filled with memories and regrets. Forced into a life she would never have chosen by the Yakuza boss she failed to kill, Akira has no choice but to do Kaito Mitsui’s bidding, no matter how bloody. How could she not? She had been trained to become one of his best assassins. Her servitude is for life, and failure or suicide is not an option. The life of a loved one hangs in the balance should Akira mess up or die by her own hands. However, her path to freedom may lie in her next assignment.

Akira’s mission was simple. Identify the person responsible for the murder of Kaito’s sister. The killer would be aboard a Caribbean cruise ship, and Akira's job was to eliminate him. Her seemingly straightforward assignment starts to go awry when a series of inexplicable events begin to take place on the ship. Then there was Devon Lyons.

Devon is a charming young man accompanying his aunt and uncle, Sara and Paul Lyons, on a free cruise. He finds himself instantly intrigued by the enchanting Japanese tourist who just joined their cruise. Devon has no idea that his family is the target of a deadly assassin in disguise. Neither is he aware of the role he is about to play in her plans.

The more time Akira spends with Devon, the harder it becomes to separate what is real from make-believe as her resolve is tested. The discovery of yet another killer hiding out among the passengers alters Akira’s plans as she now finds herself fighting for her life and her redemption.

Twisted Threads is the fourth book in the Threads series by Kaylin McFarren, and it was a delicious page-turner. The tantalizing prologue and its promise of the intrigue to follow set the tone for what was to come, which was an electrifying blend of murder, mystery, and romance. The story flowed at a steady pace, allowing for the romance to develop organically, with well-timed and stimulating twists and turns. The well-developed characters were complex yet animated and relatable, which served the purpose of moving the story along quite nicely. The author's concise writing made for a plot that was not bogged down with too many details and could be followed with ease. I also give the book bonus points for impeccable editing.

One high point for me is the unpredictable nature of the storyline. The threads are indeed as twisty as the title indicates. Almost everyone is hiding something, and it is never what you think it is. Each new reveal is more explosive than the last, and no one is who you think they are. I also liked the idea of Akira wielding a katana as her weapon of choice. To me, it gave an already formidable character this added layer of toughness as a female assassin. Also, I enjoyed the showdown towards the end of the book, where I got to see the katana in a different kind of action. It was such a thrilling action-sequence it felt like it was straight out of a movie scene. (A katana is a Japanese sword used by the samurai of ancient Japan).

Nevertheless, as the fourth volume in a series, I did feel like I was missing some references as the backstories in the book were not adequate. This is not to say Twisted Threads cannot be enjoyed as a standalone. That is far from the case. I enjoyed the book immensely, from the intricate mystery to the steamy scenes. My subjective opinion in no way detracts from the quality of the story.

The book appeared professionally edited, and I am confident it has earned a 4 out of 4 stars rating. The scenes of sex and violence are rather detailed, making it unsuitable for children. Fans of the murder mystery or romantic suspense genres will surely get a thrill out of this enthralling novel.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Salami Leh Beirut
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Daniel Kossov - Pictures of an Outstanding Musician by Rosemary Ellen Tingley

Post by Pluma »

It sounds like the characters and plot in this story are very well-developed; it makes for an intriguing read. Thanks for the great review!

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a suspsenseful murder mystery with well-developed plot and characters that keep the readers' attention until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

The intrigue is real!! 😮 Sounds sooooo twisted! Just the way I love it!

Thank you for such an inspired and alluring review!

Sabihah
Currently Reading: Soul Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabihah.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by Sabihah »

I was drawn to this book from the title and the book cover. Your review has proven to me that this book is a must read. It sounds exactly like the type of novels I enjoy; a great thirlling mystery with romance! Going to add it to my bookshelves. :) Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”