Review by Yvonne Monique -- The Dark Web Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Review by Yvonne Monique -- The Dark Web Murders

Post by Yvonne Monique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Dark Web Murders, by Brian O’Hare, Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan, together with his team, investigates a chain of atrocious murders with no apparent link between them. The initial clues point in the direction of ‘the Club’, a secret society of wealthy members who indulge in hardcore, sexual experiences. Not until later in the investigation, it becomes clear that the murderer describes in detail each murder on the dark web (a network, hidden from the normal internet, where users remain anonymous, and which is mainly used for illegal and corrupt activities). The personal blog entries of the murderer, who calls himself ‘Nemein’, have a high literary standard, which leads the police to think that they are dealing with a very intelligent psychopath. But does this psychopath have any connection with ‘the Club’?

It has been a while since I have read a book that I could not put down, but this book is one of them. The Dark Web Murders is fast-paced, with events quickly happening one after the other. At no point does the story get boring. The characters are well-defined, and the plot is surprising. I can see this book being converted into a movie or TV series.

The book is written in chronological order, which makes it easy to keep track of everything that happens. There are many characters involved (police team, suspects, victims), but the author includes a list of characters at the beginning of the book, which came in very handy. The introductory information also includes a glossary of police terms and acronyms. In the list of abbreviations, I missed the explanation of ‘MO’, but a quick Google search taught me that this is short for ‘Modus Operandi’.

The Dark Web Murders is professionally edited. I could not detect any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors at all. This is the 4th book in the Sheehan series, but it can be perfectly read on its own. As a matter of fact, I have not read the other 3 books, but I had no problem in connecting straight away with the story and the characters. At the end of the .pdf version that I have read, the author offers his reader to contact him by email to obtain a free copy of the first book of the series, which I found a really nice gesture. The way Brian O’Hare captivates his audience, the storyline, the offer for a free book of the series, and the perfect editing, make me rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The book is suitable for an adult audience. The detailed description of the murders in the murderer’s blog are very graphic and might shock sensitive readers. Some readers might also feel uncomfortable about the description of the sexual activities organized by ‘the Club’.

The Dark Web Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I love mystery and thrillers. Your review makes me believe that the book is really amazing. I will definitely like to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing such an amazing review! :)
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

VVaishali wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 10:48 I love mystery and thrillers. Your review makes me believe that the book is really amazing. I will definitely like to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing such an amazing review! :)
Thank you for taking your time to read my review, I hope you enjoy the book too!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

It has also been a long time since I read a book that I couldn't put down, so this sounds amazing. I don't think that the graphic scenes are for me though. I enjoyed your review.
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

diana lowery wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 08:19 It has also been a long time since I read a book that I couldn't put down, so this sounds amazing. I don't think that the graphic scenes are for me though. I enjoyed your review.
I can imagine some readers not enjoying the graphic descriptions, although they're quite necessary for the story as that is what the Dark Web posts are all about. Thank you for your opinion!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great criminal thriller :) I love when a book of a series can be read as a stand-alone, I'd love to check this one out! :) Thanks for this amazing review!
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 08:19 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Dark Web Murders,
The book is written in chronological order, which makes it easy to keep track of everything that happens. There are many characters involved (police team, suspects, victims), but the author includes a list of characters at the beginning of the book, which came in very handy. The introductory information also includes a glossary of police terms and acronyms. In the list of abbreviations, I missed the explanation of ‘MO’, but a quick Google search taught me that this is short for ‘Modus Operandi’.

Its good that the author took care of not so professional readers by giving these details. Your review gives an excellent projection of the book. The plot seems too exciting to not let me finish the book in one sitting. :D . Look forward to it.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Ellylion wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 04:26 Sounds like a great criminal thriller :) I love when a book of a series can be read as a stand-alone, I'd love to check this one out! :) Thanks for this amazing review!
Thank you for your kind words!
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

AbhyarnaAman wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 20:58
Yvonne Monique wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 08:19 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Dark Web Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Dark Web Murders,

Its good that the author took care of not so professional readers by giving these details. Your review gives an excellent projection of the book. The plot seems too exciting to not let me finish the book in one sitting. :D . Look forward to it.
Exactly, there were several details in this book that shows that the author really looks after his readers! Thank you for your comment.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. I read this book before, and I enjoyed it. The brutal way of killing may be a turnoff to some readers, though.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great review. I like it when a book is engagaging and catchy. I like the good gesture by the author.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Because I like my books to have "dark details," I'm sure that I would enjoy this book. However, I don't like coming across too many acronyms, but if it a quality read, it won't bother me as much.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

I have just finished reading this book and I loved it. I found it really hard to put down and was really captivated by the story. Thanks for a great review.
Yvonne Monique
Currently Reading:

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Cazrichmond wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 16:28 I have just finished reading this book and I loved it. I found it really hard to put down and was really captivated by the story. Thanks for a great review.
Glad you enjoyed it too! Thanks for your comments.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”