Official Review: The Touring Pro by Frederick L Malphurs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: The Touring Pro by Frederick L Malphurs

Official Review: The Touring Pro by Frederick L Malphurs

Post by Christieee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Touring Pro" by Frederick L Malphurs.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mickey Isabella is a professional touring golfer. When his caddy is gruesomely murdered, he becomes a person of interest in the case, and his whole life changes as a result. Unknown to him, his late caddy, Dexter DeRango, was involved with a drug trafficking gang, the Troganos. After the gang’s money and illegal drugs get stolen and hidden, they kill Dexter. Because of misinformation, the gang endlessly harasses Mickey, his friends, and family, and they try to sabotage his career through several agents. How will Mickey get out of this awful situation and move on? While causing Mickey hell, the gang also has its problems. With betrayal on the rise, what is the future of the gang and its various members?

The description for The Touring Pro by Frederick L. Malphurs included that it was in the crime genre but drew inspiration from the American professional golf scene. I found that while Mickey suffered both as a person of interest in a murder case and as a victim of assault, this book didn’t have any of the thrills that books in the crime genre usually have. At first, I was intrigued to find out why anyone would want to pin Dexter’s murder on Mickey, but when the gang was introduced, the story lost its allure; what mostly followed was various scenes of Mickey or his friends and family being assaulted by the gang.

The author made use of dialogue in about ninety percent of the book; this made the story increasingly difficult to follow. The story could have been better if it was mostly narrated either omnisciently or from Mickey’s perspective. The dialogue made it seem like this piece was not a novel but a screenplay. More precisely, it read like a screenplay for a telenovela. As someone who likes telenovelas, it was, at least, bearable for me since I could use my imagination for the different scenes or, should I say, episodes.

Having not found anything to like about this piece, I have decided to rate it 1 out of 4 stars. This was supposed to be a crime novel with tinges of golf, but it seemed that at some points, the golfing overtook the story. Excluding that, there was no real mystery because most of the scenes were just about Mickey and his loved ones suffering assault and trying to endure their anger and feeling of helplessness. Also, the plot did not follow a good progression at all. For instance, in one chapter, Mickey would be shown to be in Miami, then the next chapter would suddenly feature him in Texas with no background story. Also, it seemed that the author just wrote the story too conveniently; he introduced new characters as he pleased without regard for the story’s progression.

I hardly found any errors, but I can’t say that this book received professional editing. The book’s format did not seem right, as the margins were too big, and there was no table of contents, further solidifying my feeling that the piece was intended to be a screenplay. A professional editor would have spotted the many unnecessary dialogues. In my opinion, this book could have been half its present size if a professional editor revised the dialogue. Sadly, I cannot recommend this book to anyone who is in search of a good crime book. If you’re a golf fanatic, you might find some consolation in the golfing parts, but that is as good as it gets. This book contains profanity and implicit eroticism.

The Touring Pro
View: on Bookshelves

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

A crime novel with no crime mystery 🤔. I appreciate your honest review.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

Sounds like this book missed the mark. Thanks for your honest feedback!

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: The OG Three and The Harmony
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Pluma »

Sounds like finding out about the double-life of his caddy would be a nasty shock for Mickey, and could have made for an interesting story; it’s unfortunate that the plot didn’t turn out very well, and that the suspense was lacking. Thanks for the honest review!

Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Drianie »

I have to skip this one since it doesn't live up to the expectation of the genre. Hopefully, the author will get some clarity and advice to help with future projects. Thank you for your thorough and honest review!

shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Thanks for the honest review. You greatly pointed out all the drawbacks of this book. It's sad that the author didn't care of the plot he built.

Serenity2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenity2010.html
Latest Review: Unfaltering Trust by Roy Ziegler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Serenity2010 »

This book reminds me of the very first book I read for the Online Bookclub community. Thanks for an in-depth, honest review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Black Oak
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

Some curious choices for what's supposed to be a mystery. I wonder what the author was thinking. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”