Official Review: The Cooperating Witness by Mike Avery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Official Review: The Cooperating Witness by Mike Avery

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cooperating Witness" by Mike Avery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cooperating Witness by Mike Avery is a murder mystery novel that follows the case of the murder of Tony Francini, an accountant for Frank Romano, a mobster. It has been three years since Francini's murder, and now, there has been a breakthrough in the case as a witness has stepped forward to identify Nicky Marino and Danny Costa as the people responsible for the murder.

The state gives the job of defending Nicky to Bobby Coughlin, a defense attorney, as he couldn't afford a lawyer. Bobby's plan was pretty straightforward: get Nicky to accept a plea deal from the prosecutor's office. However, events that occur show that there is more to the story, and it is up to Susan, who is our main character and a law student working for Bobby, to uncover the truth. Did Nicky and Danny really commit the crime? If they didn't commit the crime, who did?

The story is set in Boston in 2007 and told in the third-person omniscient point of view, with clues dropped gradually as we proceed through the story. I appreciate the author's ability to create highly suspenseful scenes and ensure that readers relate to the characters, even though we do not see the events through the characters' eyes. My favorite feature of this book is the character depth. Readers will get a full understanding of what shapes the characters and their actions. As a result of this, readers will be more engaged in the story, and the book will evoke emotions of fear when the characters are in trouble and happiness when they succeed at anything.

Furthermore, the plot's structure is solid and without any plot holes, as we have the characters' aims, differences, and oppositions blended perfectly. The book relies heavily on the legal system, as we get a good look into how cases operate in that world. Some problems of the legal system in real-life are explored in this story as well. There is also an element of romance in the story as Susan develops feelings for Richard Charles, Danny's defense attorney. This element, in a way, added a level of uncertainty as I read, and it did not distract from the story.

The Cooperating Witness is an exceptionally well-edited book. I did not find any grammatical or typographical errors while reading, and I have to applaud the author and editor for this, as it ensured that my reading flow was consistent throughout. The only issue I have with the book is finding out why it took three years to find a witness. Besides that, there is nothing I disliked about the book.

All things considered, The Cooperating Witness deserves the maximum rating of 4 out of 4. The story kept me on the edge of my seat throughout, and excellent foreshadowing was employed. The twists in the ending were also satisfying. I would recommend this novel to fans of murder mystery and suspenseful novels. There is profanity included, so the book is not suitable for a younger audience.

The Cooperating Witness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

I'm sold on the "solid plot", it sounds like a great novel. Nice review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I love mystery and suspense and from your review, I can guess that the book will have plenty. I hope it will be a good read. Thanks for the review. :)

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I am always happy to discover new catching mystery novels. So thank you for your great and informative review!

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like a suspenseful legal mystery! Thanks for your detailed review.

prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews

Post by prospero360 »

The story seems to have all the qualities of a fantastic story. I can't wait to read it. Great review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Black Oak
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

A murder mystery that's also a legal thriller with twists and revelations seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: the Whitney cousins
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

This is definitely a must-read for me. Thanks for the review.

CherylGweth
Currently Reading: Learn to Love
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherylgweth.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by CherylGweth »

Sounds like an amazing book. I enjoyed your thorough review, and I intend to read this one soon.

MURANGA9
Currently Reading: The Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by MURANGA9 »

Murder mystery books are always intriguing. I love the fact that the author brought about a very catchy plot twist. This is a must read. Thanks for the review

Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kate Park »

We all love character depth, something that is hard to come by in a mystery book since all the author's energy is usually focused on the mystery being solved. Adding foreshadowing to a book also makes it so much better since the reader gets to guess who the culprit is. Thank you for your great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”