Official Review: The Cancer Machine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: The Cancer Machine by Dr. Stephen Petteruti

Official Review: The Cancer Machine

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cancer Machine" by Dr. Stephen Petteruti.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anton Thresher is a young and brilliant resident doctor who makes a breakthrough in his research for a permanent cure for cancer. Inducted by the architect of the research, Professor V. T. Roberti, Anton discovers the orange fern responsible for the miracle and creates the formula for the treatment. During his residency at Maine Medical Center, Anton, aided by his trusted friends, takes advantage of a failing cancer research program chaired by Dr. Walter Proctor to administer his antidote to patients in the research program. His unorthodox and unconventional methods were discovered by a multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical company, OncogenX, affiliated to the research.

Anton and V.T's disregard for ethics and legality in their scientific expedition results from their distrust in the cancer research and health industry. The fear of the exploitation of his drug and research to maximize profit is validated by OncogenX's desperation to obtain the formula by all means possible and discredit Anton and his crew. His intentions to make it a cheap over-the-counter drug available to everyone clashes with OncogenX's potential billion-dollar profit off the antidote. It also puts his life and those of his loved ones at great risk.

The Cancer Machine by Dr. Stephen Petteruti is a medical fiction novel depicting an all too real scenario in today's health industry. The book portrayed egoism and bureaucracy in an establishment sworn to the task of saving lives as a priority. The author paints a picture of the battle for name, status, and wealth. The novel highlights all the aspects of a medical doctor's life and doesn't make it look like a boring sequence of monotonous medical activities. For instance, Professor V.T is a trombonist who owns and tends to his beautiful garden, Anton is an excellent sportsman, Freeze is a wanton playboy, while Scott is a husband and father.

A remarkable part of the book was the description of Professor V.T's death. Although Ben Able's death saddened me, I thought the story of V.T's demise was a very beautiful one (sounds sadistic, I know). How the author was able to turn a murder to a peaceful death was beyond me. If I cried, they were tears of joy. Again, I loved that the entire story was deeply rooted in a relationship with God and fulfilling His will for one's life. It spoke a lot about morals and integrity. This book inspires the desire to do good and to live right. This was what I appreciated most about this tale. For me, no message could be better.

I felt that the subplot about Anton's overweight sister, Polly, was underdeveloped. The author wrote about the emotional abuse and weight struggle of the teenager, but that was it. I also felt the same about the relationship between Anton's parents; I think it could have been fleshed out more. This was the only thing I disliked in the story.

Needless to say, this book was a fantastic read. It was professionally edited as I could only find two typographical errors in the entire book. Owing to the story's error-free nature and the beautiful writing, I rate The Cancer Machine 4 out of 4 stars. I would have loved to give it a higher rating if it were possible. If this story has a sequel, I'd love to read it! I would recommend it to readers who enjoy medical stories, thrillers, and romance.

The Cancer Machine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I adore medical thrillers, and this one sounds like it promises to deliver a compelling storyline and well-developed characters. Thanks for the fantastic review.
Latest Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Thank you for your engaging review! I love the medical thrillers, so this one goes straight to my list.

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

The medical profession is one of the trickiest profession these days, as people find it hard to draw the line between having integrity for their practice and treating it as a business. Your review captures all the insights in the book really well. I loved reading it. Great job!👍

fancyjg
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

What a great and educative review thankyou. Books that have a medical perspective are quite catchy and grasping to read as one can relate to real-life health issues and I completely agree medics should draw life in the medical institution between life and business. The author did an excellent job writing the book I wish cancer had a cure for real.

AbbeylincolnSty
Currently Reading: The Intelligence Factor
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbeylincolnsty.html
Latest Review: Breakers by Barry Litherland

Post by AbbeylincolnSty »

With this review, you have whetted my appetite already. I have begun to salivate and I'm tempted to put aside the books I'm reading and jump on this! How long before we get a cure for cancer is the million dollar question.

Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabulous mind »

A lot of things you mentioned in your review intrigued me. I must say this book is an excellent read especially as it deals with the current pressing issue on health, cancer. Your review was engaging.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Black Oak
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

A medical thriller centered around a theme that's even too realistic in health industry is most intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like a medical thriller full of moral quandaries. Thanks for your interesting review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”