Official Review: Betty Cries... by James A. Leyshon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Betty Cries... by James A. Leyshon

Official Review: Betty Cries... by James A. Leyshon

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Betty Cries..." by James A. Leyshon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jake is a psychic who has been awakened almost every day for years by the cries of a little girl. Although able to see and talk with other ghosts, he can’t find the little girl or stop her crying. When he does sleep, he has nightmares, typically involving a clown and dead children. This continues even after moving to numerous residences. Desperate to get some sleep and stop the child’s crying, he researches the occult, including information on witchcraft and casting spells. In the meantime, Jake makes a fortune with stocks and gives back to the community by funding a couple of nonprofit businesses. This catches the eye of the IRS; they are convinced he is somehow laundering money. They send a couple of agents to follow him and gather information.

Mike is a police officer. His partner was just shot, along with two other men, while they were in a bar. They are all in the hospital on life support now. Mike thinks his partner was set up by Detective Patterson and Judge Scarpella. He is determined to take down these two men and deliver justice to his partner.

Betty Cries...: A Jake St. Johns Novel by James A. Leyshon is the first book in this thrilling paranormal crime novel series. Written from the third-person point of view, there are two stories that seem to be separate but eventually are woven together; the first is about Jake, and the second is about Mike. Although it is the first in the series, it can be read as a standalone novel as all the pertinent questions are answered by the end. The author possesses a vivid imagination, showcased in this intriguing and mesmerizing book. There are several twists and turns that will keep one wondering where this will lead next. The plot represents my favorite aspect of the story. There is an eerie and frightening quality to it. However, some occasional incorporated humor lightens the mood.

One of the things I enjoyed about the story was Jake’s complicated character. He had a large crucifix in his home but dabbled with black magic. Although against the establishment, he thought it was extremely important to give back to the community and the needy, especially after becoming rich. Jake drank too much and displayed a temper but could also be incredibly kind and considerate. He desperately wanted to find someone else who was psychic and could comprehend what he was experiencing. While not always the perfect hero, he was likable and easy to pull for.

However, although I found this fascinating story hard to put down, there were some flaws that were difficult to overlook. Several times in the novel, I had to reread to try to make sense of something; this was my least favorite aspect of the book. An example is when Jake was in his home alone, boxing up books to send out for his nonprofit business. Then, in the following paragraph, he was hanging pictures with a friend and telling him about a new girl he was dating. A couple of paragraphs later, with no explanation, he was boxing up books again in his home as if nothing had changed. Besides the confusing issues, there were too many grammatical and punctuation errors. It could use a professional editor.

I would love to see the flaws in this book cleaned up as the author has a brilliant imagination, and the novel has the potential to be outstanding. Even so, Betty Cries...: A Jake St. Johns Novel is still a thrilling and captivating book and achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One star was removed due to the errors. I think people who enjoy riveting crime novels with intermixed paranormal activity will appreciate it. There are profanities and violence in the novel, so it is unsuitable for children or sensitive readers. Witchcraft and conjuring up demons are part of the plot, so if this offends the reader, they may need to look elsewhere.

Betty Cries...
View: on Bookshelves

Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Journey Out of Self and Into Christ by Richard Rardin

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for this detailed review. The cover page itself is scary, coupled with the strange cry of a little girl. This is my kind of read.

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

This one seems interesting. Make that captivating. If the writer has a brilliant imagination, then it's a good read. Good job on the review 👍

VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

This is a really detailed and insightful review. But with the scary cover, and your little description of the paranormal activity in the book, I don’t think I can give this a try. Thanks a lot for such an amazing review.

shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Your review is very well descriptive. It gave me an insight of the book. This book seems to have a great plot worth reading. Thanks for the review!

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

The connection between the story of Mike and Jake is intriguing. Thank you for the insightful review.

Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Postcards by Kim Todd

Post by Rashida10 »

Your review is quite detailed but I hope the writer is creative enough to make the events less scary and more thrilling giving the few paranormal experiences you mentioned.

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 09:10
Thanks for this detailed review. The cover page itself is scary, coupled with the strange cry of a little girl. This is my kind of read.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

RHD wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 10:02
This one seems interesting. Make that captivating. If the writer has a brilliant imagination, then it's a good read. Good job on the review 👍
It was, indeed, captivating. Thanks for reading my review!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

VVaishali wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 11:41
This is a really detailed and insightful review. But with the scary cover, and your little description of the paranormal activity in the book, I don’t think I can give this a try. Thanks a lot for such an amazing review.
I understand; people enjoy different things. If not, it would be a boring world. :D Thanks for the comments!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

shamayelnur wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 13:06
Your review is very well descriptive. It gave me an insight of the book. This book seems to have a great plot worth reading. Thanks for the review!
Thanks you! I hope you get a chance to read it!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

sssns wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 15:04
The connection between the story of Mike and Jake is intriguing. Thank you for the insightful review.
It is intriguing, indeed. I didn't foresee how they would interconnect. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rashida10 wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 01:37
Your review is quite detailed but I hope the writer is creative enough to make the events less scary and more thrilling giving the few paranormal experiences you mentioned.
It was a very eerie book; however, the scariest parts, for me, had to do with the real-life characters and not the paranormal ones. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Congratulations for your great review! Did you know that coulrophobia is the name of the fear of clowns? The books seems quite interesting, I love plots regarding paranormal activity and ghosts.

Tarilan
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Tarilan »

First of all, the cover is so scary, ghosts are involved, then a little girl's endless cries. I'll pass, thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”