Official Review: Tendrils in the Dark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Tendrils in the Dark by Martin V. Parece II

Official Review: Tendrils in the Dark

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tendrils in the Dark" by Martin V. Parece II.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life has a way of taking us through dark and dangerous moments that we never prepare for. When everything seems to be normal, a sinister force can flip our world over.

Tendrils in the Dark by Martin V. Parece II is a compilation of 8 horror stories filled with bizarre, grotesque, evil, and terrifying events. The eight short stories (and an additional untitled bonus story) in the book span across different times, geographical locations, and kinds of people. However, they have one thing in common — the main characters encounter evil spirits or monsters that endanger the people. As all adventure stories go, the protagonists have to find a way to defeat the evil and darkness confronting the people. You'll have to read these short stories to know whether they'll eventually succeed or fail.

I enjoyed reading all the stories in this book. However, my favorite is the fourth, The Lady in Yellow, because it had the most depth, and it employed offhand humor that made it more interesting to read. I also liked how it ended, leaving the reader to speculate on what the main character's final decision would be.

What I liked most about the book was that the stories were suspenseful. The fact that I could not predict what would happen next made it a page-turner for me. I was so curious to know the next line of action that I almost thought some stories were abrupt.

The writing style is appealing to me because it's very descriptive. The author made his scenes as realistic as possible by adding many details without deviating from the stories' focal point. The narrative technique makes it easier to follow the stories as it's not stilted or uncomfortable; it flowed freely. It is usually challenging to write short stories because authors have to fit many background details and backstory into a few paragraphs. However, the author manages to do this without cutting out essential information.

Despite the brevity of the stories, the book was riddled with errors. It got me a little distracted while reading the book — I had to take the time to figure out what the corrections should be. This was the only thing I disliked about this book.

Overall, I wouldn't explain why I enjoyed spending a few hours getting horrified, scared, and exasperated, but I did. I'd rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and I'd recommend it to any horror story aficionado. The profanities used in this book are up to a level where parental guidance would be required for readers who are 13 years and below.

Tendrils in the Dark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

Great job with the review!
The bizarre, grotesque, evil, and terrifying events found in this book are not my cup of tea, but bravo to the author.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

Just in time for Halloween. But I hope the errors get fixed. Thanks for the review.

Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Drianie »

This does seem like an appropriate reading choice for this time of the year. It’s good to know the author managed to incorporate all the necessary information while keeping it interesting and suspenseful at the same time. I enjoyed reading your elaborate review!

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Evil and terrifying events are not things I want to read right now. Maybe later. I'll check back later.

shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

I love suspenseful horror novels. This sounds like a perfect pick for me. Your review was helpful too and helped me to judge this book. Thanks a lot for the review!

MURANGA9
Currently Reading: The Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by MURANGA9 »

Although it's scary reading the book, I do enjoy the anxiety brough about by such books. I will definitely give it a try. Awesome review .

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Black Oak
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a nice horror story, too bad there are so many errors that can distract you from reading it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Thank you for your informative review! I am a bit fan of horror books, but I prefer the novels. I feel that the short stories are at disadvantage, since the the author doesn't have enough time to build the suspense required for a good scare :).

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”