Official Review: Live Stock, Dead Stock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Live Stock, Dead Stock by Seymour Grufferman

Official Review: Live Stock, Dead Stock

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Live Stock, Dead Stock" by Seymour Grufferman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abdullah Chaudhry wished to be a veterinarian, but the closest he could get to that dream was being a veterinary technician. During the time he was working in a veterinary lab in England, Abdullah suffered abuse at the hands of his boss. He attributed this maltreatment to the fact that he was a Pakistani immigrant. As a result, Abdullah hated all Brits and swore to hurt them. He resorted to selling infectious disease specimens from the lab to terrorists before his retirement.

Can you guess the terrorist group that bought the specimens? Well, it's the dreaded al-Qaeda! And they intend using them to infect America's livestock. They even include attacking crop farms in America with plant diseases as part of their plans to cripple the nation's economy. After a rare outbreak of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the US and reliable intelligence suggesting al-Qaeda's imminent attacks, the president of the United States asks Winston Sage, a retired epidemiologist, to join the FBI in their investigations. Will al-Qaeda succeed in crippling America's agricultural sector? Maybe Winston can help the security agencies to prevent the planned attacks. You have to read this intriguing title to find out.

Livestock, Dead Stock by Seymour Grufferman is a thriller about agro-terrorism. It is the third book in the Winston Sage Trilogy, but readers don't need to read the others to enjoy this one. I liked the author's use of the third-person point of view for the entire narrations. This style put me in a vantage position to witness the simultaneous events in the book. Also, I enjoyed the author's use of a simple language in this title because it made my reading experience smooth.

What I liked the most about this title is its relevance. The author's message through this title is thought-provoking, and I believe our security agencies can learn a thing or two from this fictionalized story. The one thing I kept telling myself throughout the read was, "I hope the terrorists don't resort to these methods in my country!"

Furthermore, I enjoyed the author's sense of humor in the book. It is evident in Winston's character as he provided me with some comic relief amidst the worrying events in the book. More so, I enjoyed how suspenseful the read was for me. I couldn't put the book down because I was so eager to know what happened at the end. The descriptions in this title are also praiseworthy because of the vivid images it helped form in my mind.

Nevertheless, I didn't enjoy the dialogues in this book. They seemed unnatural and sometimes unreasonably long. Understandably, the author tried to use conversations to explain some of the events, but I wished they were more engaging and life-like. What I disliked the most about this title is its characterization. There were just too many characters! In a bid to give a detailed account of events in different settings, the author ended up creating many characters that I couldn't relate to in the book.

In conclusion, I am rating Livestock, Dead Stock 3 out of 4 stars. I knocked off a star due to the issues I mentioned above. However, I couldn't give the book a lower rating due to its alluring plot, relevance, and for being an overall fascinating reading experience. The book is professionally edited, with a few errors and minor profanities. I am recommending it to readers who love crime and mystery books, especially those who enjoy books about terrorism.

Live Stock, Dead Stock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

Maltreatment from his boss drove him to such cruel extremes? He is no different from his boss then, if not worse.
Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

The agricultural aspect added to the book makes Seymour's text different from what we are used to.

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Nqobile771 wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 01:27
Maltreatment from his boss drove him to such cruel extremes? He is no different from his boss then, if not worse.
Thanks for the review.
Hate and greed are recipes for disaster! Thanks for finding time to read and comment.

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Tablito wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 01:51
The agricultural aspect added to the book makes Seymour's text different from what we are used to.
Quite different. Thanks a lot for finding time to read and comment.

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

Agroterrorism seems like an intriguing plot. Also, I appreciate the keen observation of the unnatural dialogue and too many characters. Thank you for the comprehensive review.

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

sssns wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 04:01
Agroterrorism seems like an intriguing plot. Also, I appreciate the keen observation of the unnatural dialogue and too many characters. Thank you for the comprehensive review.
It is both intriguing and unique. Thanks for the kind words.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I join faith with you in hoping that our security personnel will learn one or two things from here. I hope...

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

I have never read a novel about agro-terrorism. This sounds like an intense thriller. Thanks for an interesting review!

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

Agro-terrorism seems an interesting and original theme. However, I hate to see or read about animal cruelty and abuse. Thank you for the informative reviews!

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

HannahsReads wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 10:42
I have never read a novel about agro-terrorism. This sounds like an intense thriller. Thanks for an interesting review!
Cynthia Olyy wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 05:51
I join faith with you in hoping that our security personnel will learn one or two things from here. I hope...
raluca_mihaila wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 15:17
Agro-terrorism seems an interesting and original theme. However, I hate to see or read about animal cruelty and abuse. Thank you for the informative reviews!
You are all welcome! And thanks for finding time to read and comment on my review.

MsH2k
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: All In Divine Order
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Robin That Could Not Sing by Raymond Dunn

Post by MsH2k »

Saint Bruno wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 14:44
The one thing I kept telling myself throughout the read was, "I hope the terrorists don't resort to these methods in my country!"
Exactly! That is always my worry when a “fictional” account is so plausible and horrifying: I hope it doesn’t give anyone ideas.
Thank you for a great review.
Just because someone may not be able to handle the truth doesn’t give you a pass to lie to them.
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)

Rwill0988
2019 Reading Goal: 52
Currently Reading: The Tower of Nero
Bookshelf Size: 437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rwill0988 »

This is a wonderful review but I don’t think this book is for me. I enjoy developed dialogue and think having subpar dialogue would ruin the story for me.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

anua24060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anua24060.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by anua24060 »

Wow, this sounds interesting. Agro terrorism such a novel concept and terrifying to think about. Thanks for the great review!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

I am definitely not a fan of too long dialogues and too many characters but a touch of humor in such a book makes it quite intriguing! :) Thanks for a great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”