Official Review: In the Time of the Feathered Serpent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: In the Time of the Feathered Serpent by Stanley Struble
fav_author_id: 197769

Official Review: In the Time of the Feathered Serpent

Post by LinaJan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In the Time of the Feathered Serpent" by Stanley Struble.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was going to start my review by saying that In the Time of the Feathered Serpent by Stanley Struble, such and such story is told. But I found myself struggling to narrow down to what the 'such and such' was. Yes, there are very distinct plot and storyline that transport the reader into the depths of a lush Lacandon jungle, where Mexico's Chiapas and Guatemala borders meet. Here resides a peculiar character that goes by the name of 'Bone Man.' He is an old – no one is sure of his age – shaman of Mayan descent. The ancient secrets he guards and the treasures he hoards are of great significance to some. He has what can only be described as a 'love-hate' relationship with an archaeologist David Wolf, who for some years now is digging around where the shaman with his Zapatista guards frequent. When the Papal Inquisitor, tasked with retrieving some ancient papyrus rolls suspected to have been written by St. Thomas some 2000 years ago, dies in a car crash whilst on the way back to the Vatican, Pope Lucas, against sister Angelina's advice, decides to take a trip to Mexico and try his luck in locating the documents that could shatter the foundations of Catholicism. Meanwhile, back in the Vatican, sister Angelina fires up her laptop and, to avoid connecting to the Vatican's own internet network, plugs in her USB satellite dongle. While a coup is brewing in the Vatican, what price will Pope Lucas have to pay for his bargain?

The reason due to which I found it difficult to summarise the story is that the author has done an outstanding job at character development. Stanley Struble's ability to present each character's personal story whilst in the midst of almost 'fast and furious' type action astonished me. Each character's story was so rich that it felt like a different plot. The way the author fused it all together and managed to keep me not only engaged but biting my fingernails is simply astounding. I hated, rooted, cheered, giggled, felt terrified and anxious, felt relieved.

I was – still am – pleasantly overwhelmed with the author's ability to fuse together thrill and action with something as profound as the following:

'Salvador had finally reached the stage where he was home all the time no matter where he was; comfortable in his present situation and content to know that he was doing and being who he wanted to be.'

Viscerally, I was in that jungle, drinking magic mushroom brew and feeling its effects. They were nothing like I read about before. I heard the rustling of the old papyrus rolls and crossed my fingers that they stay intact. I traced the outlines of the Feathered Serpent on the burial box. S. Struble did a grand job taking me to some magical places and getting me to feel connected with his characters.

This work contains several non-borderline profanities, so I advise caution. There are also some violent scenes that more sensitive readers should be aware of. Whilst these are not overly graphic, they may cause distress. I did not come across any erotic scenes. Questions of sexuality in Christianity are discussed, which may be found offensive or inappropriate by some readers.

There wasn't a single thing that I did not love about this book. I award Stanley Struble's In the Time of the Feathered Serpent with 4 out of 4 stars. Whilst I found several typos or missed punctuation marks, these were minor and did not impede the flow or my utter enjoyment of this adventure. Otherwise, the book is brilliantly written and edited, and it is incredibly engaging. I recommend it to all lovers of adventure, secrecy, thrill, history, and the controversy of Catholicism teachings. You will not be disappointed.

In the Time of the Feathered Serpent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

What a riveting review! An action book that involves Vatican plots and shamans seems very intriguing. Thank you for time!

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

Archaeological thrillers are fascinating. I gathered from Amazon that this is the third book of the trilogy. Would you recommend it as a stand-alone? Thanks for the review.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I perceive complexity, and this is not something I want to delve into right now. By the way, the title is a major turn on for me!

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

I suppose the author deserves a standing ovation! Great detailed review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: In the Time of the Feathered Serpent by Stanley Struble
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

sssns wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 01:40
Archaeological thrillers are fascinating. I gathered from Amazon that this is the third book of the trilogy. Would you recommend it as a stand-alone? Thanks for the review.
Yes, I would certainly recommend it a stand-alone. I haven't read any of the other books belonging to this series but, if I wouldn't know that this is a sequence, I would've never guessed :)

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html

Post by sssns »

LinaJan wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 14:05
sssns wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 01:40
Yes, I would certainly recommend it a stand-alone. I haven't read any of the other books belonging to this series but, if I wouldn't know that this is a sequence, I would've never guessed :)
Great! Thanks so much :)

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

I can honestly say I have never read a book that combines a Vatican coup with Mayan secrets. Thanks for an interesting review!

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Live Stock, Dead Stock by Seymour Grufferman

Post by Saint Bruno »

It's clear that you really enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Black Oak
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems quite an adventure in various places and intrigue. There's a lot to keep the reader's attention. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html

Post by Ellylion »

I like character-driven stories, so I definitely will give it a try :) The title is very interesting and your amazing review got me very intrigued! :) Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”