Official Review: Wasteland Gods by Jonathan Woodrow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: Hungry in Hollywood by Deanna Pak

Official Review: Wasteland Gods by Jonathan Woodrow

Post by pricklypurple »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wasteland Gods" by Jonathan Woodrow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wasteland Gods by Jonathan Woodrow follows the story of Billy as he tries to find the man who killed his son. There are times when Billy gets sidetracked by his drinking problem and forgets his true mission. When the mysterious Dr. Verity comes into his life, Billy is given an opportunity to locate his son's killer and to cleanse the world of some evil along the way. 

Featuring a cast of strange and macabre characters, Wasteland Gods succeeds in delivering a haunting tale of a man trapped in multiple worlds and suffering in all of them. There are wormholes, loopholes, alternate realities, and alternative endings. This book is full of action and will keep you on the edge of your seat for its entirety.

I loved this book. Its plot is unique, and it kept me guessing until the end. I couldn't stop reading until I finished it. There were definitely a lot of twists and turns and manipulation of worlds. I worried that it wouldn't make sense in the end or that I would get terribly lost. The author did a great job of keeping the reader aware of what was happening and managed to tie it all together.

There wasn't much to dislike about this book. Since the plot was so complex, there were a few items that were left unexplained. I was a little disappointed in that. However, that could have been the author's way of leaving the world he created open to a sequel. My favorite part of this book was just how terrifying it was. It is a true horror novel. There were scenes that had me feeling quite tense. The author did a great job scaring me, and I enjoy a good scare. 

I would love to give this book four stars, but there were a lot of typing errors that should have been caught if it had been professionally edited. This was nothing major that took away from the book in any way. There were just a few misspellings and left out articles here and there. Because of that, I must give it 3 out of 4 stars. It was a very enjoyable book. The story was engaging, and the characters were flawed, funny, and likeable. It is obvious that great care went into weaving this creative tale. I would definitely recommend it to fans of suspense and horror. Younger readers and those uncomfortable with gore beware. If you don't get queasy, or if you can get past that, this book will not disappoint. 

Wasteland Gods
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

The book having a good scare makes the reader hang onto the book to the end.

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Shoeshine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by SamaylaM »

Not really sure if I'd be able to handle all the horror since you mentioned how terrifying this book is! Enjoyed reading your review, though. Great work!

sssns
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by sssns »

Trapped in multiple worlds and suffering in all of them? That is tragic. Intriguing story. Too bad about the errors. I hope they get fixed. Thanks for the review and recommendation.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like a really original book! It reminds me of a Neil Gaimon style fantasy/horror. Thanks for your thorough review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Black Oak
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems quite a dark story, but the plot seems intriguing in the development of Billy's story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to ‚ÄúCrime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books‚ÄĚ