Official Review: Coach's Hue by David W Piazza

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Official Review: Coach's Hue by David W Piazza

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coach's Hue" by David W Piazza.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Coach's Hue by David W. Piazza is a mystery novel that follows the story of the "harmonious fusion of plant and animal DNA" in human form, called Coach. Born in a mysterious valley, under bizarre circumstances that lead to the death of his parents, Coach was taken in by Roger, who quickly discovered that the special boy possessed supernatural abilities. Coach developed rapidly, and he had some power over human emotions and the environment.

Set in the late 1900s, Coach's story is one that shines a light on the disastrous effects of several human activities on the environment. Could Coach be Mother Nature's tool for revenge against humans?

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book after reading the description. Climate change can be an interesting topic, and it was exciting to see how the author would incorporate it in this story. The first thing that piqued my interest was Coach's character. He truly represented Nature wholly, as I could see how calm he was in any situation, always with a smile on his face. However, there was also a dangerous side to him that created a lot of uncertainty, and the fact that he had the power to help people posed a few thought-provoking questions about accepting his negative sides for the greater good. It was intriguing seeing his adopted father wrestle with these questions, especially with how his past experiences shaped his ideas.

Furthermore, the author does a good job of describing scenes in detail, especially when Coach's parents died and suspenseful scenes where I expected something bad to happen. Readers will get glimpses of the characters' emotions in different situations. However, there is not much depth to most of the characters, besides Coach and his adopted father, as the story is plot-based. I found a couple of minor errors while reading Coach's Hue, but none of them affected my reading, and this gave me the impression that the book was professionally edited.

While there is not much to complain about, I feel like the author missed a chance to explore the effects of the deteriorating environment on human emotions, as there are studies that have linked the two and Coach had powers that could affect human emotions. There were also parts of the book that didn't seem realistic to me, like how Coach's adopted parents easily trusted strangers with knowledge of his abilities.

All things considered, I rate Coach's Hue 3 out of 4 stars. The story is intriguing and explores a relevant topic in today's world in a refreshing manner. It could have been better executed, and this convinced me to not award the maximum rating, but I could not go lower than my actual rating because I enjoyed reading the book. I would recommend this book to fans of mystery and fantasy novels. There is profanity included, so the book is not suitable for a younger audience.

Coach's Hue
View: on Bookshelves

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

The book is relevant, readers will get to know more about climate change, which is a major concern today.

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Shoeshine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by SamaylaM »

I'm really fascinated by Coach's character from how you described him. Hopefully might give Coach's Hue a read. Thank you for this beautiful review! :)

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Joan642 »

"fusion of plants and animal DNA," never heard that before. All the more reason why I want to read this captivating mystery thriller. Thanks for the review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Black Oak
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

Possibly the story could have been developed better, but it still seems intriguing addressing a topic that's crucial today. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by honesty_pays »

Environmental effects by human activities is something this is pressing. Nice review

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

I haven't read that many environmental mysteries, and none that have such unique science fiction elements. Thank you for a thoughtful review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”