Official Review: Uncharted by Janet Howle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Uncharted by Janet Howle

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uncharted" by Janet Howle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uncharted by Janet Howle is the story of an American investigative reporter's desperate search to find her missing brother and the challenges she runs into while trying to accomplish this.

Mary Katherine Deano, better known as Kat, finds out that her brother may be a part of a secret government plot, and she desires to uncover it. She finds help in the form of Carter McDowell, a sailboat captain who is lost in more ways than she imagines. Together they try to overcome the dangers on both land and sea. While Kat clings firmly to her purpose, Carter is trying to find one. Will their scars and circumstances pull them apart, or will it bring them together? Does Kat eventually find her missing brother? You'll find the answers in the pages of Uncharted.

Uncharted is a book that shows the inevitability of loss, as well as the comfort of love. It uncovers and expresses a range of human qualities from trust, love, and courage to betrayal, loss, and cowardice. It shows the different sides of human behavior and how people can find stability in the most turbulent and unlikeliest places.

I found the suspense factor a bit lacking. The words seemed almost clinical, and the writing understated. There was nearly no thrill. However, while the book seemed to lack the normal buildup of tension that characterized most books in this genre, I admire how the author carefully wove details around each other to create an intricate yet balanced plot. The story was straightforward to follow and kept my mind engaged as I tried to figure out some of the puzzles it contained. It managed to avoid one pothole some books fall into — too many unexplained scenes and loose threads.

What I liked most was the author's detailed description of the book's elements. The facets that made up the book were well researched yet delivered with the confidence that can only come with personal experience. The marine life and geography jargon gave the book a touch of authenticity. The author also provided a list of materials that would help further research. The reader would have all the information needed to understand the narrative.

I found only a few errors in the book, and I reckon it was professionally edited. Due to the lack of suspense and thrill, which was the only thing I found to be off-putting, I'd give it three out of four stars. It was an engaging read, and I recommend it to lovers of suspense stories.

Uncharted
View: on Bookshelves
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Katherine is forced by circumstances to 'hire' herself in order to find her missing brother.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

You summarized the story quite nicely. I wish the suspense and thrill were more prominent in this book. Thanks for the honest review!
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I liked how you mentioned the range of human qualities this novel explores. Sometimes novels can focus too much on the plot and completely forget about the character development. I also appreciate the extensive research the author did to back the authenticity of his novel. I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

I like that the writer avoided the unexplained plots. I am, however, disappointed by the lack of thrill, especially in a crime book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems quite focused on Mary's feelings after her brother's disappearance rather than the suspence from the search for him. Probably it appeals to the kind of reader in search for a story of emotions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

I thought that you wrote a clear and descriptive review. I am disappointed that this book lacks suspense since I believe that it is one of the most important aspects of a book. However, this still sounds like a good read.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

This sounds like a really good book. Looking forward to reading this book, I hope that Carter and Mary find love too. Thanks for the review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I hope Mary found her brother, not knowing what happened to relative puts strain on families. Lovely review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I love suspense-filled books. It keeps me turning the pages without getting bored. It's a pity it's lacking in this piece.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It comes with a list of materials for further research on marine life and geography? Nice! Thanks for the informative review.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

Thanks for an honest review. I agree that the lack of suspense would make this boring, despite the interesting premise of a journalist looking for her brother.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This book sounds like it has an interesting storyline, and the fact that it is well-researched would be a plus. It is a pity that the writing style detracted from the suspense, though. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”