Review by Orizon -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review by Orizon -- The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can a fragile mind remain whole after witnessing or fighting in a war? The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going is a fictional novel that contains 38 chapters and 242 pages. It tells the story of Declan Noakes, a retired soldier, who still battles with the aftermath of fighting in a war.

Like most soldiers, Declan Noakes is plagued with dark memories from his fighting days in the war. After fighting the Vietnam war, Declan frequently travels and mostly spends his time on trains. During his time in Southeast Asia, he was able to smuggle a considerable amount of marijuana into Chicago with the help of Herman “Griff” Kidwell, Farnsworth, and his cousin, Rachel. He smokes a potent breed of marijuana (also called Thai Stick) to keep the demons plaguing his mind at bay, which buys him time. Unfortunately for Declan, a former friend turned foe becomes hell-bent on getting the marijuana as he believes that Declan owes him for introducing him to Farnsworth during the war. Will Declan be able to get the freedom he desires? Read this book to find out more.

The plot of The Juicy Fruit Man is hilarious and engaging. The flow of the storyline right from the beginning to the end was just exceptional. The language used throughout the book was simple and easy to understand. It also had several action scenes that contained lots of surprises, twists, and turns. The book also had an excellent foundation, and the plot was well-developed. The author's tone and style were fantastic, the characterization was excellent, and the setting gave a very realistic depiction.

People often think that soldiers or military officers are different from civilians when handling the war's aftermath. This may be true, but they are humans like everyone else with a fragile mind. Some of them use drugs or narcotics to escape reality and avoid their problems, which is not encouraging. I love how the book portrayed core family and friendship values, showed a bit of romantic spark and offered intense action. My favorite character in the book is Declan Noakes; I love how he looked out for his cousin, Rachel.

There is nothing I dislike about the book as it was professionally edited as I found only a few errors. The plot was very captivating, and it contained thought-provoking themes. I rate The Juicy Fruit Man 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction novels filled with action and adventure.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I had always wondered how the aftermath of soldiers that fought in the world war was like. Thanks to the review that answered my question and cleared my mind.
Awesome review.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

UncleP wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 01:16 I had always wondered how the aftermath of soldiers that fought in the world war was like. Thanks to the review that answered my question and cleared my mind.
Awesome review.
You are welcome.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

I really do feel for the people suffering from the aftermath of war. This book really captures some of the gruesome tale they might be facing in real life. Thanks for the review. Great job
eternity84
Currently Reading: Followers of Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by eternity84 »

I found this review fascinating as it depict the true content of the full story. Well script down.
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

This story is indeed a hilarious and truly engaging one. Great review
Taiwo_Olawoye
Currently Reading: OldEarth Aram Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1femi1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taiwo_Olawoye »

Declan Noakes fighting in a war is part of his line of duty as a soldier. The dark memories cannot be completely cured with the most potent drug. The most evil enemies are estranged friends. We must all be careful of such evil friends. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”