Official Review: The Gatekeeper by Donald Peters

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Official Review: The Gatekeeper by Donald Peters

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gatekeeper" by Donald Peters.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Newly-appointed Inspector General Harold Taylor of the CIA has received an important tip: Stephen Rodriguez, the Assistant Deputy Director of Intelligence(ADDI), might be into drug trafficking. And so, for the covert operation of investigating Stephen Rodriguez, Harold recruits his only son Mark Taylor. Mark is former US Special Forces and presently owns a software company. With the help of his lawyer friend Dusty Miller, Mark sets out on a dangerous mission of following Stephen to Afghanistan to collect evidence of his involvement in the illegal drug trade.

Exceedingly intriguing and engaging, The Gatekeeper by Donald Peters is about the illegal import of drugs into the United States from Afghanistan. The basis of the book is how people working for organizations like the CIA, FBI, and DEA could be involved in illegal drug trading, despite being expected to be waging war against it. It sheds light on the complex nature of drug trafficking and answers questions like why Afghanistan is the leading producer of heroin in the world, the potential role of corrupt bureaucrats in perpetuating the drug trade in Afghanistan.

The story takes place in the aftermath of 9/11 after the overthrow of the Taliban. The author equips the reader with a brief account of the tumultuous history of Afghanistan in the prologue. Reading the prologue helps the reader to enter into the harsh world of Afghanistan with ease. The author uses the third-person omniscient narrative to tell the story. The book is hard to get through for the first ten chapters, but when you get past it, there is no putting it down. The plot is well-constructed from start to finish, without any unnecessary violence. There are many nail-biting moments in the book that keep you glued until the end.

The characters are well carved out with their background details, no matter how small their role in the story. The protagonist Mark Taylor is pragmatic without being depicted as someone who is godlike, over the top, and has a solution for every problem. He makes mistakes, he cries when it gets too much, and he cares for women, but not in a toxic, controlling way. The primary antagonist Stephen Rodriguez is cunning and ruthless, murdering anyone who threatens to expose the drug network. Even then, he is not above needing love.

Female characters range from being in a position of power, holding an office to working for the FBI handling a gun with ease to the burqa-clad Afghan woman helping our protagonists.

An issue that I have with the book would be the physical description of the characters. Right after the introduction of a character, you are privy to how much they weigh. It doesn’t add to how I view them, and it makes the reading process a little bit tedious.

All things considered, The Gatekeeper is a fantastic book that deserves full stars. However, there are many grammatical errors, so I have to give it 3 out of 4 stars with a heavy heart. There are many instances of non-borderline profanity and the inclusion of sexually explicit details.

I would recommend The Gatekeeper to adult readers who enjoy action-packed books that are full of suspense. People who like reading books on illegal drug trading should not miss this one.

The Gatekeeper
View: on Bookshelves
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

It's bad that those that should fight crime are now into it. Seems like my kind of read, because I love action thriller books. Great review, well-done!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 15:42 It's bad that those that should fight crime are now into it. Seems like my kind of read, because I love action thriller books. Great review, well-done!
Give it a go! Thanks for stopping by 🙂.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The brief history of Afghanistan is evidence of homework done well. I love good research works when they precede work like this. Thanks to the author!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 07:27 The brief history of Afghanistan is evidence of homework done well. I love good research works when they precede work like this. Thanks to the author!
Do read the book if you get a chance to review it, you won't be disappointed! ☺
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An intriguing action novel based on recent history centered around dark elements of it. The fact that it's realistic adds to its value. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

NetMassimo wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 09:18 An intriguing action novel based on recent history centered around dark elements of it. The fact that it's realistic adds to its value. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for giving it a read🙂.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great read for thriller genre lovers :) A realistic background and well-developed characters make this book really worth reading. Thanks for a great review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ellylion wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 06:41 Sounds like a great read for thriller genre lovers :) A realistic background and well-developed characters make this book really worth reading. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for stopping by! ❣
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your detailed review. This book sounds so intriguing with a refreshing subject and well-crafted characters. I will try it when I have a chance.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Sou Hi wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 22:43 Thanks for your detailed review. This book sounds so intriguing with a refreshing subject and well-crafted characters. I will try it when I have a chance.
Thanks for reading the review and commenting! ☺
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I’m a big fan of intriguing crime thrillers so thanks for a very detailed review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Pearl Akpan wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 09:03 I’m a big fan of intriguing crime thrillers so thanks for a very detailed review.
You're welcome! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Sounds interesting. I've even heard a theory of the CIA being involved in the drug trade since they tried their best to curb it and were unsuccessful. So, they now deal drugs in order to fund other "more important" endeavours.
Thanks for your recommendation, Khaulah.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 05:35 Sounds interesting. I've even heard a theory of the CIA being involved in the drug trade since they tried their best to curb it and were unsuccessful. So, they now deal drugs in order to fund other "more important" endeavours.
Thanks for your recommendation, Khaulah.
You're most welcome @Olabode Joshua 🙂. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”