Official Review: Blood in the Water by Rick Outzen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Blood in the Water by Rick Outzen

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood in the Water" by Rick Outzen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blood in the Water, written by Rick Outzen, is an entertaining and eventful crime story. At the beginning of the book, a flood and an explosion in a newly renovated jail stir things up in Pensacola, Florida. The book’s protagonist, Walker Holmes, narrates the story using the first person. He is the publisher of a newspaper called the Pensacola Insider and owns a “spoiled seven-year-old chocolate Labrador mix” named Big Boy.

The antagonist, Sheriff Ron Frost, is the most powerful man in the region. An election is coming up, and Alphonse Tyndall is campaigning for sheriff as Frost’s challenger; Tyndall has Holmes’ (and his newspaper’s) support. However, Frost has a lot more money in his war chest, and he is a bully and a thug. The plot thickens when Harden, a private investigator who helps Holmes, gets beaten into a coma. Also, a bomb destroys the protagonist’s Jeep Cherokee and takes his friend Titus “Tiny” Smith’s life. Holmes then decides to seek justice, but no spoilers are allowed!

There are several positives worth mentioning in the book, and what I enjoyed the most were the well-developed and textured characters. Firstly, Walker Holmes is a very interesting protagonist – an all-around good guy who wants to help people and bring criminals to justice. He’s a nonconformist who drinks a lot, and I thought that the author did a great job developing his multilayered personality. For instance, Holmes quotes Ernest Hemingway to say, “Write drunk, edit sober.”

I also liked Dare Evans, the protagonist’s closest friend, whom he met at the University of Mississippi. Dare supported Holmes when he tragically lost his fiancée Mari Gaudet. I also enjoyed the secondary characters, especially the Pensacola Insider’s staff – Jeremy, Mal, Ted, Summer, and Pantoni add color to the investigation.

The plot is also well-constructed; the antagonism between Holmes and Frost is gripping and results in various twists around which the novel orbits. Above all, the difference between their political ideas and moral values gets skillfully and delicately woven into the plot, and the author provides readers not only suspense but also food for thought, which I enjoyed.

Finally, the book seems professionally edited, and I found no negatives worth mentioning. Thus, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I believe it will appeal to readers who enjoy crime stories. Those who are put off by violence might not like it as much, though. It also has a fair share of profanity, so those who are bothered by strong language might want to skip it.

Blood in the Water
View: on Bookshelves
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

Sounds an interesting book. I enjoy a good crime novel but I can't stop wondering if naming the protagonist Holmes is just a coincidence. Thanks for the review.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Would like to try a crime story. Nice review!
Vidhi Vadhar
Currently Reading: Chanakya and the Art of Getting Rich
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-vadhar.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vidhi Vadhar »

Sounds like an interesting plot, would like to give it a read. Thank you for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I expect crime thrillers to include some violence, so I have no problems with that, and this novel seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a well written story with wonderful characters. Thanks for the great review!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Walker Holmes seems like an entertaining character. I'll get the book just so I can meet him. Thank you!
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

This novel sounds very engaging, looking forward to reading this and exploring the character of Walker as well! Thank you for a wonderful review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”