Review by Bertha Jackson -- The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review by Bertha Jackson -- The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Date Farm" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Date Farm by Jack Winnick is the fourth book in the Lara and Uri series. A Los Angeles mall, full of young adults, is attacked by Iranian terrorists who kill themselves after the attack. Over 50 people are killed and over 100 are injured. There appears to be no motive for this random attack, as there was no targeted race or religion. While the FBI is calling Lara and Uri in to investigate, they discover that communications in the United States have been compromised, including military and other government satellites. Immediately afterward, the Federal Reserve Bank and the Chase Manhattan Bank, in New York, are seized by Iranian terrorists led by Sheik Zainal Abidin, who was responsible for the terrorist attacks in Beverly Hills two years prior. Familiar with Abidin, Lara and Uri take teams into the separate banks where they are both captured by the terrorists. Lara is taken to a cargo ship and Uri to a plane headed to Nova Scotia. They are both rescued and learn that the terrorists were not after the gold housed in the Chase Manhattan Bank, but were after the United States’ supply of rhenium. As a result, they have to travel to Iran to retrieve the rhenium and destroy Iran’s communication satellites. The federal officials wonder whether or not there are terrorists employed in top government positions, which allowed the Iranians to compromise the communication system and gain access to the banks’ access codes.

Between the intrigue and mystery, you will find government corruption due to diversity in the workplace. Universities, in promoting diversity, welcome students from all over the world and train them to become top officials. Many second-born generations of Americans do not necessarily buy into American values. There is danger around every corner as Lara and Uri, with the aid of the Navy Seals, combat the terrorists. This book will have you sitting on the edge of your seat from beginning to end.

I liked this book because it is fast-paced and realistic. Due to the descriptions of the characters and locations, I felt I was there. However, I disliked the idea that as Americans, who promote diversity, we are actually killing ourselves. Without the training they receive in the United States, the terrorists could not accomplish their hate crimes. This is very disturbing to me.

I would recommend this book to only adults due to the violence. Emphasis is put on the role video games play on the planning and training of terrorist attacks. The terrorists embrace martyrdom and look forward to entering paradise. They have no value of life and welcome death. Teenagers and younger do not need this type of mentality when they are playing their games.

This is a well-written book without any typographical or grammatical errors. There is no profanity and no erotic sexual activities. For these reasons, I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Date Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

as Americans, who promote diversity, we are actually killing ourselves.
This is an interesting take on diversity. It is something I would like to ponder on. Thanks for the insights.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

The Lara and Uri series is a must read. I love the combination of action, romance and mystery.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

The fourth book of Lara and Uri series. Recently this became BOTM as well. Seemingly a nice thriller. Thanks for the insightful review
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

I haven't read any of the series. Seems interesting. Thanks for the review though.
Uzzy_Reviews
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

a fourth installment in the Lara and Uri series. This recently also become BOTM. An enjoyable thriller, it seems. I appreciate your thoughtful assessment.
Wisarut Supannafai9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by Wisarut Supannafai9 »

I think "diversity" will promote social innovation. This book show how experiences of love, revenge and hatred are unavoidable. This review explains the story of the main actor in unforgetable ways. :)
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Interesting, it seems. I appreciate the review.
Ezra Dapaah
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezra-dapaah.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ezra Dapaah »

Nice review on Lara and Uri's series.
I like the review on this book.
Onyeka Dibor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyeka-dibor.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Onyeka Dibor »

With "The Date Farm," Jack Winnick weaves a captivating tale that draws inspiration from real-world historical events.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”