Official Review: Young Americans by Peter S. Rush

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Young Americans by Peter S. Rush

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Young Americans" by Peter S. Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How do you survive in uncertain situations? What would you do to live in a world where nothing is assured, and no one cares about what becomes of you? These questions were on my mind as I read Young Americans by Peter S. Rush. The book is a story of how people try to survive the best way they know.

Tommy Logan is a young man who lives his life freely as he deems fit. He doesn't want to take orders from anyone or any form of authority; he thinks they are all forms of 'an organized piece of sh*t.' He deals on drugs in Tampa and wants to make a lot of money before he stops.

He is introduced to Harry Burr by his girlfriend, Sandy. Sandy was from a wealthy home, has all the good things of life, and wants to enjoy life and be free. Harry is a big man who made money through drug dealing. He seems wealthy and influential, and he can pull some stunts to get whatever he wants. He needs a partner who has some discipline, but Tommy is young, impatient, and wants to make a lot of money quickly. Well, they pull off a deal from down south, and everything went smoothly. Tommy feels it's time to pull ranks with Harry. Is his experience in Tampa enough to deal with an ex-con like Harry? Tommy embarks on a life journey that he has no idea where it leads.

The beginning pages of this book got my mind working immediately. The book began with a prologue that gave an insight into what was to happen later. I was confused a little bit when I saw the different dates on the prologue and chapter one. However, my interest was piqued, and it never dwindled until I finished the book.

One of the things I liked about the book was how the author talked about specific social issues such as sexual abuse of children, alcoholism, drugs, parenting, societal rules, organizations, and even religion. He used this story to show how young people become damaged and make the wrong choices due to negative experiences from abuse and bad parenting. I also enjoyed the author's writing style — it was simple with detailed descriptions that painted beautiful pictures in my mind. For instance, I was able to see how fat Harry and his brother, George, were in my mind's eye. This was what I liked most about this book.

The reader would have a great time with this book as they would be taken through the adventurous and dangerous yet inspiring stories of Tommy's life. The book's only downside was the gory scenes of fighting and using different weapons to hurt people. Also, the explicit descriptions of drug abuse and sex scenes might offend some categories of readers. People who would be offended by these violent and sexual scenes could take a pass on this book. The book also contained many profane words. However, if you enjoy a fast-paced and adventurous gangster-like story and wouldn't mind the vulgarities, you'd have a swell time reading this book.

I would rate Young Americans four out of four stars. There were a few grammatical errors, but not enough to take the book to the gallows. Hence, it was professionally edited.

Young Americans
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"Living on the edge" popped in my mind as I was reading your review. From the review, the book sounds like one I can unwind with. Thanks for the glimpse into the book. Nicely done. :D
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A tough story about sensitive themes that goes far beyond fast-paced adventure. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

This is an interesting book. At first glance I thought this is a book talking about Young Americans in general. It turns out an adventure for several young characters. Thank you for the introduction!
Callme joan
Currently Reading: HO Tactics
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Callme joan »

When the author is able to to give detailed descriptions clearly it makes the book more enjoyable to read. I will definitely read this one. The themes discussed seem very relateable especially with the current generation and therefore i can foresee mysf enjoying it. Thank you for the good review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Regardless of how offensive it could be, some vulgarity and profanity would be necessary to paint just the right picture. My younger self would relate to Tommy’s impatience well enough. I look forward to discovering just where his approach to life leads him in this book. thank you for an encouraging review.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

Currently reading and I’m absolutely enjoying it. The scenes described are not ones that are usually pleasant to read about but still necessary to paint the full picture. The story line strings on perfectly and grips you, pushing you to keep reading!.
Lydier91
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lydier91 »

Im reading it currently and honestly i enjoy the book and although some scenes may sound offensive, i still love it because it is still necessary to paint just the right picturThe author is able to give detailed descriptions making it more enjoyable, and i also think that it is relatable with the current generation ,im totally loving it👍
Matthan Chishala
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Matthan Chishala »

Thank you for your insightful review of "Young Americans" by Peter S. Rush. Your analysis captured the essence of the book beautifully, and your passion for literature shines through your words. I'm excited to read this captivating narrative based on your recommendation.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”