Official Review: Bayou Blitz by Mike Kelly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: Bayou Blitz by Mike Kelly

Official Review: Bayou Blitz by Mike Kelly

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bayou Blitz" by Mike Kelly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chicago is home to the Powers brothers. Tom Powers becomes a homicide detective after his girlfriend, Kristy, left him and got married to his brother, Conor, who plays as a quarterback for the New Orleans Saints. After several years as a detective in Chicago, Tom receives word from Kristy that his brother had died in an accident in Louisiana. Upon hearing the news, Tom finally decides to read some of the letters his brother had previously written to him.

After going over a distressing letter dated a few days before Conor’s death, he instinctively decides to make his way to New Orleans to make sure there was no foul play. However, after investigating the scene of the accident, Tom has reason to believe that his brother was murdered. What information did he find in that letter? What did he find on the accident scene to suggest foul play? If Conor was murdered, who is responsible? And does Tom have any relevant evidence to bring them to justice? Or is Tom just looking to win back his long-lost love, Kristy? Find out the answers to these questions in this nail-biter called Bayou Blitz, written by Mike Kelly.

It’s always a nice feeling when you pick a book that not only meets your expectations but surpasses it. I loved reading the text for a lot of reasons. Firstly, the pace with which the author started the story; the fast-paced start ensured that I was quickly drawn into the story, understanding early on what the tale entailed. Secondly, I was pleased with the way the author described New Orleans. Even if I’ve not been there before, I feel like I have an idea of how the atmosphere feels like over there. As a result, I am seriously considering visiting Louisiana sometime soon.

Additionally, the suspense that the author employed throughout the novel was nerve-racking. The suspense started right from the beginning of the book to the end as Tom progressed in his investigations into his brother’s death. To think that I didn’t get bored or tired of the story at any time says a lot about the author’s storytelling ability. Kelly’s descriptive prowess and effective character development were enhanced by an interesting plot. The sequence of events was consistent and coherent. The part of the story I enjoyed the most has to be Tom’s sense of humor and his use of sarcasm, especially when he was on a phone call with his detective buddy, Diaz. I found myself laughing really hard when they were in a conversation.

Furthermore, the fact that I couldn’t predict what happened at the end of the book caps it all off. I was literally in shock when I got to the end of the story. However, I was pleased that it didn’t seem forced; it looked like a possible outcome. I, therefore, rate Bayou Blitz 4 out of 4 stars. Not only was the story well-written, but the text was also professionally edited. Because of the level of profanity in this read, I would advise sensitive readers to skip this book. However, readers that are interested in crime, mystery, and thriller stories will find this novel interesting, and I highly recommend it.

The only opportunity for improvement I can pinpoint in this book is that Kelly could have included diverse descriptions for Tom’s reactions. What I mean is that there was a lot of repetition with the way Tom reacted to different situations. The writer almost always described his reactions to surprising information as “the hair at the back of his head stood.” However, this didn’t detract from the story, and there was nothing to loathe about the book.

Bayou Blitz
View: on Bookshelves

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Secondary Break by marvin williams sr

Post by Christieee »

This seems like a very intriguing read. I wonder who killed Connor. To me, it seems almost predictable but I won’t conclude till I read the book.

A great job with the review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Transcendental
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite your reservations about Tom's reactions, as a thriller, this novel seems intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Ada Ling »

This novel could be a interesting read. Thank you for bringing the book to your attention!

Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Star_and_Buck »

From your review, it seems like this is really a fantastic book. Thanks for your insightful review.

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The King of May
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by SamaylaM »

I agree that it really is satisfying when you pick a book and it exceeds your expectations! Loved reading the review and might give Bayou Blitz a try!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”