Official Review: Sparks Fly at Midnight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Why A Refuge by Michael George

Official Review: Sparks Fly at Midnight

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sparks Fly at Midnight" by Christin E Hepner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Brooke Kaufmann was awakened by her husband, Police Chief Cliff Kaufmann, to inform her that her parents’ house was on fire. After she had raced to the scene, it slowly became apparent that they did not escape. Shortly thereafter, it was discovered that the cause of the fire was arson, and Kent and Sharon Brookfield were murdered. Who killed the doctor and his wife?

Was it Myke, who Dr. Brookfield had helped send to jail after Myke had almost killed his wife, Mattie, in a fit of anger while he was drunk? Upon discovering that he was coming up for parole, Dr. Brookfield wrote a letter and circulated a petition to prevent him from getting out of jail. However, the petition and letters had not been received before Myke was paroled.

Dr. Brookfield was in the process of selling his farm to Edward’s Resort and Amusement Park, so they could develop a theme park on it. This news had enraged several members of the town council. Would they have murdered them, hoping to prevent the land from being sold?

His previously undisclosed illegitimate daughter had just moved to town to go to college and find answers about her background. She had become suspicious that he was her father. Could she have done it?

Or was it someone else entirely? Other than the murderer or murderers, the only one who saw everything that occurred that night was a ghost named Marianne, who wandered around the property.

Written from the third-person point of view, from multiple perspectives, Sparks Fly at Midnight by Christin Hepner is an action-packed, suspenseful book. It is a 262-page crime drama and mystery with some supernatural and romantic components intertwined. The author’s prose is descriptive and easy to understand.

The tale begins in the present day as it jumps right into the story with Brooke receiving a call from her husband that her parents’ home is on fire. The author portrayed Brooke’s emotions so vividly that I could experience the tension, and I felt like crying with her when she couldn’t find her parents. Woven masterfully together, several subplots were used with Dr. Brookfield involved in each of them, with the exception of the history of the ghost. The thrilling suspense continued until the end of the novel, making it difficult to put down. This was my favorite aspect of the book.

The novel alternated between the current day and the past while the stage was set for the murders. Unfortunately, it was sometimes confusing trying to figure out what time frame it was in until a few paragraphs had been read. This could be easily corrected by putting the year at the beginning of each new time frame. This was my least favorite aspect of the book.

All the essential questions were explained during the story; however, there were a few less relevant loose ends that were not fully tied up. Because the book ended with “THE END . . . or is it?” I have to think a sequel is in the works, and those questions will probably be answered.

I discovered nine grammatical and punctuation errors in the story. It could use one more round of editing.

Although I loved this book and desperately wanted to give it four stars, due to the errors and the occasional confusion about the time changes, Sparks Fly at Midnight achieves a rating of three out of four stars. It is definitely too good for two stars. If the aforementioned issues were remedied, which wouldn’t take much, I think it would be deserving of the highest rating. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who enjoy stories with mystery, suspense, romance, and a dash of supernatural elements. No sex was encountered in the story. However, there were some mild profanities; therefore, it is not recommended for children.

Sparks Fly at Midnight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Tayejim1 »

I like the fact that there was no sex in the book. Very well written review.

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Ada Ling »

" It is a 262-page crime drama and mystery with some supernatural and romantic components intertwined. " - This could be an interesting read!

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: A Rational Philosophy of Life by Hermann Raith

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is a very insightful review. I enjoyed reading it. It shows that you enjoyed your read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Katie Canedy
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: Think and grow rich
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-canedy.html
Latest Review: Love is... by Cathy E Heyliger

Post by Katie Canedy »

When I read the title, I had expected there to be sex scenes or this book to be a sexual book. I am glad that this is not the case. The plot looks interesting. Good job on your review. :)
"There is no try, only do."- Yoda
"If you can dream it, you can do it."- Walt Disney
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant,it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Persepolis Rising
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Shadow Pantheon by Eric Nierstedt

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the little confusion you mentioned, this seems an intriguing mystery that probably includes a number of twists. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tayejim1 wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 10:59
I like the fact that there was no sex in the book. Very well written review.
As did I! Thanks for the kind words!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ada Ling wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 12:32
" It is a 262-page crime drama and mystery with some supernatural and romantic components intertwined. " - This could be an interesting read!
It was, indeed. I hope you can a chance to check it out!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 16:24
This is a very insightful review. I enjoyed reading it. It shows that you enjoyed your read. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks so much for your kind words. I think you would enjoy the book as well!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Katie Canedy wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 22:53
When I read the title, I had expected there to be sex scenes or this book to be a sexual book. I am glad that this is not the case. The plot looks interesting. Good job on your review. :)
No, this was a different kind of sparks flying at midnight. :lol: Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 01:52
Despite the little confusion you mentioned, this seems an intriguing mystery that probably includes a number of twists. Thank you for your great review!
That was a little confusing at times, but it didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the book. Thanks for commenting on my review!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 16:24
Thanks for your kind words. I hope you get a chance to read the book, as I think you would enjoy it.

SweetEchoJenn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetechojenn.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SweetEchoJenn »

This review is compelling! I like that this book touches on a few different genres. I definitely would like read this novel!

Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Eutoc »

I don't know if it was best that the book left you with some unanswered questions so that your imagination could take over. I'm glad you loved it. I found your review informative. Thanks.

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Eutoc wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 16:36
I don't know if it was best that the book left you with some unanswered questions so that your imagination could take over. I'm glad you loved it. I found your review informative. Thanks.
Sometimes it is good to let your imagination take over, but mostly I prefer to have my questions answered. :D Having said that, I did enjoy this book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”