Official Review: The Silent Message by Robert de Casares

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 610
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Flu... by Jake McKenzie
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The Silent Message by Robert de Casares

Post by Miriam Molina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Silent Message" by Robert de Casares.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is 2021. The world is still reeling from its battle with COVID-19, but it is on the way to recovery. However, in Singapore, ten deaths are puzzling hospital personnel. The cause of the deaths is a disease that is eerily similar to COVID-19, but this one is much more lethal with mortality at 90%. The Singapore security service organizations become involved, and they soon seek the assistance of the MI6. Eventually, the investigations lead to a hideout where a sizable stash of vials containing a deadly pathogen is seized. The pathogen, created by the Althofen Club, is christened “The Messiah.” The Althofen Club is a group of billionaires from all over the world who plan to rule the planet after it is cleansed by The Messiah. They get to choose who will be given the vaccine to prevent contamination and who will be worthy of the cure. Will the world be able to stop them?

The Silent Message by Robert de Casares is definitely a thrilling read; everybody knows what havoc a deadly virus can bring. The premise of the book, greedy billionaires out to own the downsized planet, is a clear possibility. I read the author’s The Moonshadow Effect two years ago and found it fantastic. Thus, I had no second thoughts about grabbing this book.

The author did not disappoint. He took me on a breathless ride as I boarded the planes with Desmond Reeves, the main character, while he zigzagged across the globe. A top agent of the MI6, Desmond picked up the clues and followed them from Singapore to Spain, Russia, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Norway, and France. The author described the hotels, landmarks, wines, and other peculiarities of the destinations that made the trips almost real. I learned some Russian, German, and Spanish along the way. The author also employed literature, movies, and music to make the experience more vibrant. I enjoyed excerpts from 1984, The Godfather, Black Sabbath’s hit song “Children of the Grave,” and Shakespeare’s plays.

The author knew his security organizations well, and I relished discovering the counterparts of the MI6 and MI5 in the different countries. I read about weapons, ammo, and modern eavesdropping equipment and truth drugs that would make privacy an endangered species. The author likewise inserted tidbits that improved my knowledge of world history, particularly recent political upheavals and realignments of alliances. The young proponents for combating climate change had a major role in this book, but I didn’t like the implications raised by the author. I’m not allowed to spoil the read, though, so the readers have to find out for themselves why.

The book necessarily features a lot of killings, so the squeamish ones need to brace themselves. As a thriller buff, I take the gore and the swearing attendant to it in stride. A love angle humanizes Desmond and offers some respite from the violence without derailing the main plot. On the lighter side, the reader will have fun with British slang words like “Peter” for “safe,” “boffin” for “expert,” and “recce” for “reconnaissance.”

I wish I could give this exciting piece a perfect rating, but the grammatical mishaps hold me back. They consist of misspellings, missing or extra words, and unwanted commas. In consideration of the errors, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Those who enjoy medical thrillers, international spy novels, and intense action scenes will love this book. I only hope that the story will not happen in real life. The Spanish flu besieged the world a century ago. COVID-19 still stalks our streets. Let the next pandemic come after a hundred years, or better yet, never.

The Silent Message
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Amaraah
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaraah.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Amaraah »

Wow! Never seen a medical thriller book, I would really love to read this book. Thanks for this honest review

NetMassimo
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Sirens of Titan
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Post by NetMassimo »

Looks like the author covered the current situation mixing it with spy thriller elements. I have to confess I'm not sure now I want to read this kind of novel. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ada Ling »

This is the first novel that is based on COVID-19. Thank you for the introduction!

Suesea
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suesea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Suesea »

The book, based on your review, sounds fascinating, but exhausting. This author was swift to create a novel about Covid-19's even more evil twin. I can barely stand the stress in the world right now. The incredible horror of the number of deaths in America, what is it now, 190,000 recorded deaths? We all know that number is higher. It's just too much and the political upheaval, hate, and random, senseless killings are a constant burden. I can barely sleep sometimes, so, way before now, I would have picked up this book and probably flew through it, but since we are living in a horrific reality similar to the book, I don't think I have the strength anymore. However, your review is wonderful, and I expect the book will thrill others.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Suesea wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 20:10
The book, based on your review, sounds fascinating, but exhausting. This author was swift to create a novel about Covid-19's even more evil twin. I can barely stand the stress in the world right now. The incredible horror of the number of deaths in America, what is it now, 190,000 recorded deaths? We all know that number is higher. It's just too much and the political upheaval, hate, and random, senseless killings are a constant burden. I can barely sleep sometimes, so, way before now, I would have picked up this book and probably flew through it, but since we are living in a horrific reality similar to the book, I don't think I have the strength anymore. However, your review is wonderful, and I expect the book will thrill others.
I hear you. World peace: is it the impossible dream? I sincerely hope not.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Ellylion »

Wow! Sounds like a great thriller that includes the modern day burning issues. Thank you for a great review! :)

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Wow! What a brilliant review. This is an interesting novel. I remember "Cassandra Crossing" which I believe would be similar to this. Sci-Fi and spy stories are my favorites. More power, kabayan.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nonny2208 »

I'm sure the book does contain an intriguing storyline. Thanks for the review though.

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pluma »

Sounds like a thrilling read! I like that the setting includes multiple countries and their cultures; it makes for a more interesting journey. I also like that the author knew what he was writing about, and did the proper research on all his topics. I think the theme might be a little too close to home in the current climate, though. Thanks for the great review!

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow, what a wonderful review Molina, indeed Covid 19 is what is stressing the universe currently, scientists and medical experts are not at rest.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

The name The Messiah is ironic. I mean the guy should come to save us, not kill us. Good job on the review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Amaraah wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 03:47
Wow! Never seen a medical thriller book, I would really love to read this book. Thanks for this honest review
I hope you get to experience a medical thriller soon. With the pandemic disturbing our lives in unprecedented ways, these books become even more nail-biting. So don't forget to wear your face mask!

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

rahilshajahan wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 09:56
The name The Messiah is ironic. I mean the guy should come to save us, not kill us. Good job on the review!
The greedy people behind The Messiah only want to save themselves. I pray nobody ascends to that level of greed.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Phelicia Gloria wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 18:47
Wow, what a wonderful review Molina, indeed Covid 19 is what is stressing the universe currently, scientists and medical experts are not at rest.
Thank you for the wonderful comment. I pray the world emerges from this mire soon.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”