Official Review: On Days Like This by Mary Faderan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Official Review: On Days Like This by Mary Faderan

Post by Kreads1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On Days Like This" by Mary Faderan.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On Days Like This by Mary Faderan is a fiction book that may be classified as a thriller.

Mary Scott has just graduated with a Ph.D. in Biology from the University of Merton. She has secured a job working as a researcher at Yale’s School of Medicine and will be packing up and moving to her new home the following day. Mary is excited to put her degree to use and hopes to be successful in her career but instead finds herself in a precarious situation. Her fellow researchers seem welcoming at first, but in reality, they are not who they seem. In reality, she is surrounded by people who wish to see her dead. These nefarious individuals are determined to do anything they can to prevent Mary from reaching her full potential.

This author has a very creative writing style and takes the plot in this story down several pathways. The storyline involves rogue FBI agents, an undercover MI5 agent, a coven, espionage, the Yakuza, and other shocking plot twists. While I appreciated the author’s creativity, I struggled with how all of these twists were connected, and some seemed too far fetched for me.

What I liked most about this story was the determination that Mary had. It was clear she was not comfortable in her new position and was not thriving at Yale, yet she persevered. She had the opportunity to terminate her employment and move to another city but decided against doing so because she wanted her research to be successful. This is a character trait that I admired in Mary.

What I disliked most about this book was the complicated storyline. I lost interest once the plot strayed down multiple paths. I found the storyline confusing. Many of these paths were not resolved, which led to more confusion. I would have loved to see a streamlined plot that focused on one of these paths with a resolution in the end. I loved the premise that Mary could be in danger due to her relation to her father and his connection to the Yakuza. I bought into this storyline and found it enjoyable and would have liked to see this play out throughout the book.

Unfortunately, this book has not been professionally edited and has an overabundance of errors. Throughout the book, there are errors in sentence structure that made it difficult to follow the storyline. In addition, there are a number of grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors. Some of the characters' names are spelled differently in different areas of the book, sometimes on the same page. These errors were a distraction while reading and made it difficult for me to stay engaged while reading. This book could have potential if edited thoroughly.

It is important to note that this book contains profanity and adult content, therefore it should be reserved for mature or adult audiences. There are also graphic descriptions of death and dying that some may find disturbing. I would not recommend this book to individuals who are sensitive to homosexuality or bisexuality as there are references to these relationships in this book.

In my honest opinion, there are so many errors throughout this book that it was cumbersome to get through. I found the overall storyline difficult to follow given the numerous plot twists that take this story in so many different directions at once. I enjoyed the beginning of the book, and I wanted to love the book in its entirety, but it fell short for me. Considering all the critical aspects mentioned, including the need for editing, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars.

On Days Like This
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: The Seeds of Akara
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Low Flying by John Reynolds

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a novel with a potential but overburdened by development problems and many errors. A professional editor might help the author in rewriting and proofreading the book to save it. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chiawa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiawa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chiawa »

This phrase "overabundance of errors" cut me off in the book review. I would have enjoyed reading this book because of the elements of intrigue, mystery and crime. I hope the author employs the services of a professional editor.

Good review!
Dayodiola
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Errors are put off not to talk of 'overabundance of errors'.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

The twists in plot can make it difficult for someone like me to read.
Still a good review.
buttercake20+
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+ »

I am always up for a good plot twist but not when it becomes excessive and derails from the actual theme of the book. But i like that the protagonist seems to be a determined and relentless person. The review is also very datailed and straight to the point. I don't think this would be a good book for me.
pikamel
Currently Reading: Ash
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pikamel.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by pikamel »

It sounds as if this book is good in theory, but not in execution. I may check it out because the story does sound interesting, but I won't be surprised if I can't get through it. Thanks for the review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Wonderful review. It’s informative and i’m looking forward to give it a read it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”